lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
JonniUtah
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Reducer for stereo/lights in 2017 RXV? (AC)

Hey guys,
I want to install a reducer in my 48v 2017 RXV to run a stereo and some lights, I already asked Scotty but he says RXVs are AC and he only deals in DC. Any advice from someone that has done this or other threads I can look at? (I also want to support the community here and purchase reducer from a sponsor if possible)

Im really not trying to use a separate battery, would love to just have it wired in and switch on/off w/ key. I dont go too far on it so not worried about running batteries down.

(Was thinking about one of those bazooka sound bars to mount on the roof bar)

Also nervous about RXV electrical, dont want to fry my controller...
Thanks guys!
JonniUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2019, 04:22 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reducer for stereo/lights in 2017 RXV? (AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonniUtah View Post
Hey guys,
I want to install a reducer in my 48v 2017 RXV to run a stereo and some lights, I already asked Scotty but he says RXVs are AC and he only deals in DC. Any advice from someone that has done this or other threads I can look at? (I also want to support the community here and purchase reducer from a sponsor if possible)

Im really not trying to use a separate battery, would love to just have it wired in and switch on/off w/ key. I dont go too far on it so not worried about running batteries down.

(Was thinking about one of those bazooka sound bars to mount on the roof bar)

Also nervous about RXV electrical, dont want to fry my controller...
Thanks guys!
RXVs are AC drive, but still run from a 48VDC battery pack. Scottyb sells reducers that are compatible... Just wire the reducer power input to your solenoid connection that feeds + 48VDC to your controllers B+ input and it'll be switched by the key.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
JonniUtah
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
RXVs are AC drive, but still run from a 48VDC battery pack. Scottyb sells reducers that are compatible... Just wire the reducer power input to your solenoid connection that feeds + 48VDC to your controllers B+ input and it'll be switched by the key.
The legend himself, thank you Bob! So Im an idiot (Im handy but brand new to carts) and just realized I already have a 20AMP reducer installed. Photos are attached.

Bob two questions please? First can I just connect stereo pos/neg to these 2 posts as shown in picture? Is it that simple? and where should I put the ground?

Second, I have a street legal light kit (not LED), I think they're 55-watt halogen bulb headlights, w/ tailights, brakelights, signals and horn. If the stereo draws 7 amps max, do you think I'll be okay with the 20Amp reducer in the photo? Nothing else is on cart except factory SOC meter...

THank you very much sir!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CartConverter2.jpg (104.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg CartConverter.jpg (120.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonniUtah View Post
The legend himself, thank you Bob! So Im an idiot (Im handy but brand new to carts) and just realized I already have a 20AMP reducer installed. Photos are attached.

Bob two questions please? First can I just connect stereo pos/neg to these 2 posts as shown in picture? Is it that simple? and where should I put the ground?

Second, I have a street legal light kit (not LED), I think they're 55-watt halogen bulb headlights, w/ tailights, brakelights, signals and horn. If the stereo draws 7 amps max, do you think I'll be okay with the 20Amp reducer in the photo? Nothing else is on cart except factory SOC meter...

THank you very much sir!
The ground is unused, not needed on electric vehicles. You should only need to connect the + and - 12V lines from your stereo to the reducer outputs. You might want to switch to an LED light kit, because your 20 Amp reducers maximum output is only 240 watts. Your halogen headlights will consume 110 watts, and your stereo can consume 84 watts. That does not leave much capacity left over for tail lights, turn signals, and horn. I would hazard a guess that your load is already over 240 watts from the lights and stereo alone. The horn might be enough to blow the fuse if everything else is turned on. For halogen lighted cart, typically a 30 Amp (360 watt) reducer is used.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
JonniUtah
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The ground is unused, not needed on electric vehicles. You should only need to connect the + and - 12V lines from your stereo to the reducer outputs. You might want to switch to an LED light kit, because your 20 Amp reducers maximum output is only 240 watts. Your halogen headlights will consume 110 watts, and your stereo can consume 84 watts. That does not leave much capacity left over for tail lights, turn signals, and horn. I would hazard a guess that your load is already over 240 watts from the lights and stereo alone. The horn might be enough to blow the fuse if everything else is turned on. For halogen lighted cart, typically a 30 Amp (360 watt) reducer is used.

Bob
You're the best Bob, thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed. Will upgrade to 30Amp reducer and then bother you some more on installation haha
Thanks again!

Tags
rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO