lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
717Flyer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1998 EZGO DCS No Reverse

I have a 1998 EZGO DCS with an Alltrax 400 controller that will not go in reverse. Here are the symptoms:
  • Forward works fine.
  • In Reverse the alert sounds
  • In Reverse the Solenoid has no click
  • In Reverse I have 36 volts at the orange wire on the controller
  • If I switch F1 and F2 the cart will move in reverse when FWD is selected.
Any suggestions? Does anyone know if this card has a reverse diode?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff
717Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1998 EZGO DCS No Reverse

If your 400A Alltrax controller is a DCX400, the symptoms indicate it is defective.

The DCX controller, like the stock DCS controller (Curtis 1206SX) defaults to forward and has to be told to do reverse by putting pack voltage on the orange wire. We know the reverse signal is getting into the controller because the beeper, which is controlled by the controller, sounds.

Replace it with a XCT48400-DCS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX in DCS.jpg (268.0 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

to BGW
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
717Flyer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks!

It is a DCX400 controller. About 6 years old give or take.

The part that confuses me is that the solenoid will not click when reverse is selected. I did not think that the controller sent power to the solenoid. Am I mistaken?

Jeff
Old 04-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It might be a bad micro switch on the F&R
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #6
717Flyer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I thought about the reverse micro switch. But since the reverse alert works, I assumed the reverse micro switch was good. Is that a sound assumption?
Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Make sure both micro switches are clipped in next to the F/R 'puck' (see pic in link below). I had remembered that a few years back I had a cart where the one on the right popped loose, causing the cart to only go forward.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...1&d=1420752075
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:27 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 717Flyer View Post
Thanks!

It is a DCX400 controller. About 6 years old give or take.

The part that confuses me is that the solenoid will not click when reverse is selected. I did not think that the controller sent power to the solenoid. Am I mistaken?

Jeff
The controller connects B- to the solenoid coil when the pedal switch contacts are closed. The B+ voltage is connected to other side of solenoid coil via the reed switch, Run/Tow switch, Run switch (part of F/R assembly) and keyswitch.

The Run switch part of the F/R assembly is good or the cart wouldn't run in Forward and the Reverse switch part of the F/R assembly is good or the reverse beeper wouldn't sound. However, there is a possibility that there is a mechanical issue with the F/R assembly and the lever on the Run switch is not be pushed when direction selector lever is in the reverse position.

Check for voltage on the solenoid's small terminal with three wires on it when in reverse. If none, take a look at the F/R switches. See attached images showing cam position for Forward, Neutral and Reverse.

The fourth image is a more distant view showing both lobes on the cam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forward.jpg (181.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg neutral.jpg (169.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg reverse.jpg (172.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg fnr8.jpg (165.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #9
717Flyer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help JohnnieB and Scottyb,

I did not want it to be true, but I am now convinced I need to order a new controller.

With Reverse selected I have:
  • 36 Volts at Orange #4 on the controller. This verifies that all the F and R circuits are good.
  • I have no power on Blue #7 or Yel #6 on the controller in reverse.
  • I also have no power to either of the small terminals on the solenoid in reverse.

The wiring diagram shows that the solenoid gets power from the controller when reverse is selected. This is different from when forward is selected, and is why I was confused earlier. I assumed FWD and REV powered the solenoid in the same manner.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 04-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 717Flyer View Post
Thanks for the help JohnnieB and Scottyb,

I did not want it to be true, but I am now convinced I need to order a new controller.

With Reverse selected I have:
  • 36 Volts at Orange #4 on the controller. This verifies that all the F and R circuits are good.
  • I have no power on Blue #7 or Yel #6 on the controller in reverse.
  • I also have no power to either of the small terminals on the solenoid in reverse.

The wiring diagram shows that the solenoid gets power from the controller when reverse is selected. This is different from when forward is selected, and is why I was confused earlier. I assumed FWD and REV powered the solenoid in the same manner.

Thanks again,

Jeff
The solenoid gets its power the same way when in forward or reverse.
Look at the box labeled Interlocks at the upper left on the schematic. That is the direction selector switch or F/R switch. The top switch is labeled RUN and the bottom is labeled REVERSE.
In Forward only the top switch (RUN) is closed and in reverse both the RUN and Reverse switches are closed.

In both directions, B+ voltage from the Run/Tow switch is passed through the RUN switch to the Keyswitch and then on to the solenoid coil and Pin-6 on the controller, but that is not happening when Reverse is selected, so the cam (hockey puck shaped disk) that has lobes on it that push the levers on the microswitches isn't being turned far enough, or being turned too far from the RUN switch contacts to be closed when cam is rotated to the reverse position.

Might just need an adjustment to fix cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO