lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Need some series motor advice

Hey guys,
I am seeking some opinions on where to go with my 36v series motor, it's on a 1998 TXT.

Lately it had been getting "jerky" while driving at lower speeds, so I suspected the brushes were in need of replacing.
Today I finally got the opportunity to pull the motor off the differential and I can see there are a couple areas of concern.

For sure the brushes could use some help, they have multiple uneven grooves in them and two of the brushes are frozen and won't engage or retract.

On the stator, one of the segments on the commutator has a gap. I have posted a couple of photos. Is this something that can be repaired, perhaps by soldering a piece of copper in place?

I'd like to be able to fix this motor and continue to run it for a while. We use it around the property to pull a small trailer for garden and maintenance chores and it's been plenty powerful for our needs.

Any advice is most appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200517_195113.jpg (172.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200517_194802.jpg (185.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200517_195059.jpg (183.7 KB, 0 views)
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2020, 02:33 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Need some series motor advice

Wow, sorry, that ones done my friend. A complete "remanufacture job" is all that can save that one. (And a lot of "rebuilders" would even say "cant do it"). I guarantee, just by the pics, it's not a candidate for a simple "cut & new brushes". Sorry, that one is done. Cost of repair would be better spent on any other motor, new or used.

I have done many "refresh jobs" on the armature lathe, and I can tell right off the bat, that's not a easily fixed motor. That blown-out segment is likely indicating a major short in the windings, and any rig-job would just blow right out again (besides the fact that the surface is so bad, new brushes would be throwing money down the toilet).

Please dont waste time & money on that dead motor.

That's my serious motor advice.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:58 AM   #3
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I appreciate the candor. I'm assuming it is the original 22 year old motor. Oddly enough it was still running okay, just making a little clicking noise like a bicycle with a card in the spokes.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Any ideas on where to find a good used motor?
Old 05-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Need some series motor advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
Any ideas on where to find a good used motor?
Try your local shops. Craigslist are Face Book market place. If you can find one local it want cost you shipping.
If you pull trailer with it I wouldn't go back with just a stock motor though if it where mine. If you can afford it I get a torque motor. Just for the fact of you stating you pull a trailer.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I've been checking marketplace. There are a couple on there, I am also checking in with Plum Quick to see if there is anything I can get from them that fits the budget.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I found a motor locally last night on Marketplace. It's the same motor. The guy who had it has a bunch of old carts. He said the motor turns fine and runs on 24v+ but wouldn't run on 12v, so he sold it to me for $50.

I got it home and pulled it apart. The armature and stator are in good shape. What I did find was the brushes were all frozen and not making complete contact with the stator. I pulled the brush holder out and managed to get the brushes out. Doing so kind of damaged the face of the brushes a little. I had already ordered new brushes, so after sanding the inside of the brush guides I put in the new brushes and they slide in and out freely. I managed to get it it all together, but it was too late to test it last night.
I should be able to get it installed this evening.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I put it all back together last night. It's running great!
Old 05-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
I put it all back together last night. It's running great!
It's always good when a plan comes together!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:48 AM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Need some series motor advice

Good deal. Good to fix stuff and also made a good contact for later on if you need something else.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36v, motor, rebuild, series, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO