lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
thatldopig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default My 2016/2017 EZGO Electric RXV rear axle fluid change experience

I am new owner of a used 2016/2017? (Date code L1016) EZGO Electric RXV and I just changed the rear axle fluid based on what I learned on this forum as well at the Owner Guide PDF so I thought I'd document my experience here. This was done prematurely to the 5 year mark but cart is new to me and since that is the only major lubricated assembly I wanted to do it. The removed oil was nasty and burnt plus this gave me an opportunity to become familiar with the cart so I am glad I did it.

(I did not jack up anything yet until noted)
NIGHT ONE
1. Removed the 10 1/2" bolts. I did not drain the pan first since I was unsure on the condition on the rubber plug and I was going to keep the plug so I thought why not.
2. Did more screwdriver prying and tapping on the pan lip than I thought would be needed but eventually the pan released and stinky burned black fluid dropped into my catch basin.
3. Inspected the pan. One minor dent on the lowest point from an assumed drag over a rock or curb, so minor I did not bother attempting to pound it out. At this point I did remove the rubber plug once I saw how it was made on the inside. Cleaned it as well.
4. Straight razor cleaned the pan edges and transmission edges of what appeared to be a clear RTV sealant.
5. Soaked the bolts in brake cleaner.
6. Sprayed the rear end interior with brake parts cleaner to get the nasty burnt fluid out. CRC 05089 BRAKLEEN Brake Parts Cleaner - Non-Flammable -19 Wt Oz
7. Put a bead of gasket maker per the instructions. Permatex 81182 Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker, 3 oz.
8. Placed pan and hand tightened the bolts. They bound up in reality for my hands so I LIGHTLY wrenched them until the gasket maker bulged a little.
9. Let it sit an hour.
10. Wrenched a *little* more and went to bed.

NIGHT TWO
1. Wrenched the 10 bolts to 35 pounds based on what I read in page 46 of the Owners Guide PDF
2. inserted the rubber drain plug.
3. Based on page 45 of Owners Guide, created a fluid from 25 ounce of MOBIL 101189 Mobilfluid 424,Tractor Hydraulic,2.5 gal and 2 ounce of NEW GENUINE EZGO STURACO FRICTION MODIFIER (4oz) PART # 611242 into a a Slippery Pete Fluid Pump for Quart Bottles - Transfer Gear Oil, Transmission and Differential Fluid with This 5cc Hand Pump (1) and a empty container.
4. Blocked right front tire and jacked the left rear up near the shackle as seen on page 39 in the users guide as high as I was comfortable with and placed a jack stand next to that.
5. Pumped in over 3/4 of the fluid until it was full there and inserted drain plug.
6. Lowered the cart.
7. yanked out entire Axle Vent (page J-1 on RXV ELECTRIC SERVICE PARTS MANUAL and cleaned the area.
8. Pumped in remaining fluid there that tube from the pump fit in the hole snugly.
9. Reinserted Axle Vent.
10. Wiped my mess away.

Gingerly rode around for a while to make sure I did not hear any clunking then got on it later. My cart goes 15 MPH exactly. I am not sure what that means in terms of its programming but it has brand new batteries and new GOLF CART 12" MATADOR WHEELS and 215/40-12 DOT LOW PROFILE TIRES (SET OF 4) tires. I am happy with the speed and torque based on hills of the roads I ride.

Parked it on top of some cardboard overnight - no leaks!

Next project is to replace rear shocks since I saw the RL shock bolt is bent since it hangs low from I assume a rock/curb strike.
thatldopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
Derek Diggler
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: My 2016/2017 EZGO Electric RXV rear axle fluid change experience

Hello,
Great description and detail. I want to replace mine but have some questions.
I have a 2008 Ezgo RXV. I have attached some pictures of the rear.
Is the vent plug in my pictures to the left on top of the axle, and do I just take the black plastic cap off, or do I have to unscrew what’s below the cap?
Also, I don’t have a service manual or any pictures so I’m a little u clear on how you jacked your cart to what side before filling? I do have a hand pump that I used with a boat I once had. So you just hand pumped it in through the rubber plug hole, right?
I’m looking to replace the rear oil as easy as possible. Please help! Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007F21CE-6D09-4C77-8EE5-E7E0BF93F012.jpg (13.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 367DC518-B10D-4698-A155-A5644E3B1B21.jpg (13.8 KB, 0 views)
Derek Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
thatldopig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Diggler View Post
Hello,
Great description and detail. I want to replace mine but have some questions.
I have a 2008 Ezgo RXV. I have attached some pictures of the rear.
Is the vent plug in my pictures to the left on top of the axle, and do I just take the black plastic cap off, or do I have to unscrew what’s below the cap?
Also, I don’t have a service manual or any pictures so I’m a little u clear on how you jacked your cart to what side before filling? I do have a hand pump that I used with a boat I once had. So you just hand pumped it in through the rubber plug hole, right?
I’m looking to replace the rear oil as easy as possible. Please help! Thanks.
As easy as possible based on my single experience above I would think would be to pull that ~1" black rubber plug from the diff cover and drain/pump all you can out of there. Then put that black plug back in and fill all the oil in from the vent hole upper left in your pic after simply pulling that whole vent cap assembly out. I'll probably do this method next time since I was happy with what I found after pulling the diff cover and inspecting the rear end.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #4
thatldopig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatldopig View Post
As easy as possible based on my single experience above I would think would be to pull that ~1" black rubber plug from the diff cover and drain/pump all you can out of there. Then put that black plug back in and fill all the oil in from the vent hole upper left in your pic after simply pulling that whole vent cap assembly out. I'll probably do this method next time since I was happy with what I found after pulling the diff cover and inspecting the rear end.
drew what I said here on your pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 367DC518-B10D-4698-A155-A5644E3B1B21.jpg (15.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #5
thatldopig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hello,
Also, I don’t have a service manual or any pictures so I’m a little u clear on how you jacked your cart to what side before filling?
Here's a jackpoints diagram from the "Owner's Guide"
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 10.32.24 AM.png (206.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
Derek Diggler
Not Yet Wild

I placed the differential cover back on last night with a new seal and plan to pump in the new oil tonight. I’m going to do like you did and pump in as much through the black plug hole as I can and then the rest through the axle vent just like you did. Thanks for the info on the jack spots too. Your info has been very helpful.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
Derek Diggler
Not Yet Wild

Also I only had about 10-12 oz of old black oil come out so I’m glad I’m changing it! Did you have a lot come out of yours when you changed it?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
thatldopig
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Also I only had about 10-12 oz of old black oil come out so I’m glad I’m changing it! Did you have a lot come out of yours when you changed it?
I have no reason to think mine was ever previously changed and it seemed like a similar amount. Also it was very burnt smelling as evidenced that it took a couple of weeks to get that smell out of the garage since I did spill some on the concrete floor.
Old 10-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #9
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Did this oil change twice, drove the cart on two blocks of wood with the left wheels, easy and secure. It's recommended to remove the Diff Cover for draining every time, otherwise you wouldn't get out the old oil completely! When you brew fresh coffee, you should better remove the old coffee from the day before out of the can as well
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:12 AM   #10
Derek Diggler
Not Yet Wild

My garage smells the same right now. Have a lot of clean up to do later. Pumped in about 15 oz through plug hole and the rest through the axle vent. Worked out great. No leaks over night :)

Tags
rear axle fluid change
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO