lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
slinger1317
Not Yet Wild

Default Converting to Lithium- Solenoid Question

I have a 2017 S4 Express with 6 8v Trojans. I am swapping them out with 4 48v Allied Lithium. I’m having a little anxiety over the power to the solenoid and controller. Being that my previous batteries were 8v, will I need any type of converter between the 48v batteries and the solenoid/controller? I’m not 100% sure if they are getting 8v from 1 battery or 48 from the series wiring of the entire battery pack. Just don’t want to burn them up by putting full 48v to them if that’s not what they are currently getting.

I have other questions but this is my most pressing. As a newbie, this forum has provided me with a wealth of knowledge. Many thanks.
slinger1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #2
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Converting to Lithium- Solenoid Question

I don’t feel comfortable telling you exactly how to wire up your new lithium pack, but when I converted my DS years ago, no type of converter was needed between the battery pack and solenoid/controller. The solenoid is supposed to see 48v. My lithium pack was actually around 52v and is still running around locally fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:29 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Converting to Lithium- Solenoid Question

The lithium pack you are installing is....from a "power" standpoint is no different (albeit the lithium is a bit higher in volts at a full charge. My Leaf pack is 57V at full charge and 50V when it must be recharged)

My point is power is power. No matter if it comes from flooded lead acid batteries or lithium.

When I did my lithium switch (and I'm no engineer) I called Alltrax to confirm that attaching power from the lithium would work with their controller. The engineer from Alltrax stated pretty much what I said above. Power is power....the controller doesn't care if it's from FLA's or Lithium.

The voltage to your existing solenoid from your FLA's should have been 48V. I'm assuming you have removed the FLA's and can't test that. Other's who know your year and type of cart will likely "chime in" here and bring your comfort level and "education" up to speed.

I posted this to relay what Alltrax told me. I hope this helps.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
slinger1317
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I assumed that was the case, just started second guessing myself.

I have looked at several installation videos and wiring diagrams, and these Lithiums are supposed to be Plug-m-Play, but of course there are several wires/connections on my cart that aren't in the diagrams. I am planning on disconnecting everything one wire at a time and retracing.

I believe my cart has a 16v/12v reducer, and I will be installing a 48v/12v reducer and new fuse block. That part has me the most nervous. I don't want to zap a part and then be totally out of commission.
slinger1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Hook up the reducer first....but don't hook up any 12V "side" of the wiring. Then when you turn on the reducer (I dunno if you turn on a reducer....I've never had one) then with your Multi-Meter, test the output. If it's 12V, then your good to go.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
vdash103
Not Yet Wild

Did you make the conversion? I was considering Allied as well and I also have a 2017 Express S4
vdash103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO