lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Motor Test Question

I am looking for the instructions on how to test the motor to see if it is good. I have a basket case 1998 DS 48V. As a bit of background. I am relatively new to carts but just finished a refurb of my 4th cart. Have totally rehabbed 3 Yamaha's and 1 EZGO. Now time to start work on this project. Not positive yet which direction I will be going in but want to see what I have to start with at this point. I will be reaching out for guidance and suggestions once I get a base line. It is a total rebuild and I don't mind putting in some money since I plan on keeping it. I also have a brand new frame to put everything on. I thought there was a sticky on motor testing but cant seem to find it. Right now it is basically a motor and diff hanging there, No batteries , electronics or wiring to speak of.
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Motor Test Question

Sounds like a good canvas. What kind of motor is it? A picture may help. What are your ultimate plans? Sounds like your credit card is gonna get warm soon. :)
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

This will be the most involved of my rebuilds to date which is why I saved it for last. Learned a lot on the previous ones. I wont mind putting some $ into it since I know what I will have at the end. Here is a shot of the motor. Looking for procedure on applying power to it to test and make sure it works. I tested one of my previous projects (Yamaha), used a jump box but need to know how to test this one. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201025_133903_resized[6646].jpg (713.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
1sharphook

here are 750+ hits on this subject on this site alone:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=15...h1QMIDA&uact=5
Old 10-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Continuity and Motor Testing:
If you want test the motor do this Continuity Test first. Disconnect the pack and then all the cables from the motor. (Be sure to double wrench every motor post/stud when breaking them lose or you may break them off. Spray them down with penetrating oil prior to doing it).

Get out your DVM and set it to the Continuity setting and:
- Test between A1 and A2 (Beep)
- Test between S1 and S2 (Beep)
- Test between A1 and S1 (No Beep)
- Test between A1 to Motor Case (No Beep)
- Test between S1 to Motor Case (No Beep)

If all those are correct as stated above then you can test the motor:

With all cables removed from the motor, jack the cart up at the rear and connect a jumper from A1 to S1. Then connect 12 volts positive to A2 and 12 volts negative to S2. (swap S1 and S2 to change rotation direction) You may want to have a disconnect switch in-line with the power supply as some do and some do not....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the replies. Exactly the info I needed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car