lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
gtatransam
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO TXT series cart slows or stops after going through puddles and gets wet

Hi all, We have a 2001 EZGO TXT series cart (f&r) under seat. Its equipped with an Alltrax 48** controller running 48 volt (8 6v batteries) with all new 2 gauge cables and a blue d&d high tq motor. Batteries were new this summer and cart normally runs great. The 4 pin molex connector underneath the seat has been removed, soldered and shrink wrapped since I already had that problem so I'm ruling that out.

We took the kids sledding today driving in about 2 inches of snow and when we were done the cart would not move. The solenoid is clicking as it should from the pedal switch. I can consistently get the cart to go by "pumping" the accelerator pedal 10-15 times it will eventually start to slowly go until it finally reaches full speed. after that it runs great until stopping again at the next sledding hill for a bit or driving through another large puddle. It has also done this all summer We just avoided puddles or driving through rain.

My First bet is the ITS sensor in the floor but wanted some advice before throwing parts and $$ at it for no reason.

Thanks so much for reading!
gtatransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO TXT series cart slows or stops after going through puddles and gets wet

Since this appears to be a water issue, I'd pull up the floor mat and remove the screws to the ITS box and see if you have evidence of moisture infiltrating in the box. If so, check where water is coming in....such as a rust-thru hole(s).

You can seal the top with a silicone caulk to waterproof the box at the lid if that's where your getting water.

I'd also check the wiring where it exits the box and see if for some reason the sheathing has perhaps been damaged or dry rotted.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT series cart slows or stops after going through puddles and gets wet

Which model Alltrax (AXE, SMP, SR. etc.) series controller?

Is it flashing any error codes?

Does the LED turn yellow when pedal is on floor while cart is misbehaving?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
gtatransam
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies!

The controller is an alltrax axe

no trouble codes and no yellow light.

we took it back out tonight and when it got wet this time it was like the accelerator pedal had to be down 50% before it would engage any power. the solenoid clicks at the normal position. The more I "pump" the pedal the closer and closer it gets to engaging the pedal at the normal position.

nothing under the seat is getting wet. If the ITS box needs to be watertight that could be the problem. I'm almost sure there is no way it is sealed or even has the screws holding the cover on. when I got it I found the micro switch in the floor had been bypassed. The cart is not rusted out but was abused and neglected most of its life. But while all the neighbors fancy new carts are getting hauled off on trailers ours has yet to let us down once. We Just focus on battery health and frequent cable checks for heat and its been a solid machine.
gtatransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Try monitoring the ITS voltage (Black and White wires) at the controller. IIRC, the AXE has spade lugs for the control wires, so a couple of 1F to 2M splitters will give you someplace to clip your DVM leads to while driving.

The ITS voltage should go from 10V with pedal up down to 6V with pedal on floor.

------------
Unless the ITS sensor has been replaced, it is 19 years old and the potting compound has most likely developed hairline cracks in it, so it is no longer waterproof. See attached image.

The ITS sensor has a PCB with a 555 timer and two hex inverter ICs. It doesn't play well with moisture and the cracks typically occur next to the PCB. See attached schematic.

FWIW: The $25 ITS sensors found on-line work okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0143.jpg (274.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ITS sensor - Schematic.JPG (88.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:25 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

The ITS sensor has a PCB with a 555 timer and two hex inverter ICs.

Well......of course it does.

(For us non-engineer's who know not what that language speaks!!)

However, if you wish to start a post on Subpart F corporate income and small business valuation for estate tax purposes along with alternative minimum tax....well......
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO