lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #1
cpnbnanamn72@yahoo.com
Not Yet Wild

Question A few '03 EZGO TXT questions

So, I just bought an '03 TXT 36v, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it before asking dumb questions. I'm not sure how much money I want to put into it.... yet, but I DO know that I have one issue that needs to be addressed. I've already installed Scottyb's voltmeter, and under load, I'm seeing it drop to ~30v, and only recover a little - maybe 33v. Problem I'm having is that up a mild incline, it almost comes to a stop. At first I was thinking batteries, as they are T-605's and on average about 5 years old (A whole OTHER question), and I've seen charges up to ~44v.
In reading some other posts, I'm starting to think that my issue might actually be the solenoid. I was looking at Scotty's stuff, and not sure which one to get, and wanted to understand what 'magnetic breakouts' are. This is the BIGGEST question at the moment.
Another question.. Although, I have some experience in electrical/electronics, but I've been wrong before... Can you use a 48v pack to run a 36v motor? Sensibly, I would think that some voltage reduction would be necessary, but is this a way to get a little more power out of the motor?
We only use this cart around the neighborhood, but it is a little hilly.. Not too bad, but the cart struggles to get up mild inclines, so batteries were my first thought. It's almost unusable at the moment, and I'd REALLY like to have it up and running before it gets too cold to go for a drive.

EDIT: I remember what I wanted to add to this post. I got a hygrometer (Battery tester) to check specific gravity, and most of the cells are showing 1.3xx plus! I know that means the ratio is off, but it was taken probably 15 minutes after a charge, but in my mind could also be an indicator of an issue. Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

-Roger

Last edited by cpnbnanamn72@yahoo.com; 10-26-2020 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Added to the post
cpnbnanamn72@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2020, 06:05 AM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: A few '03 EZGO TXT questions

I too have a 2003 TXT and I just converted to 48 volts. I did the conversion in steps because of funds. Previous owner changed to 2 gauge cables and HD F&R switch (which I would like to change to a reversing contactor). I started off with a good AMD motor (label on the motor said 36 volt but Robbie at PQ said it would work okay on 48 ) and had Plum Quick perform their Bandit magic upgrade. Gained more torque and speed as promised. Then I did the controller and by seat of the pants, torque seemed improved but not speed as expected. The last part of the upgrade was 6-8volt batteries. With the mission completed, I gained about 10 MPH over stock plus much more torque. Was it worth it? It is more pleasant to drive but came at a cost. Some needed to be done (batteries) and some is just disposable income and the need for speed. My mother always said I couldn't leave things alone.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO