lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
EZGO_N_TAHOE
Not Yet Wild

Default Help before I pull motor and rear diff.

OK, so I have read as many posts that I could find about motor "spinning" and cart not moving.....I have a EZ GO 96 TXT 48V cart with an Admiral MOT B-2 motor (about 4 years old) Alltrax controller and volt meter from ScottieB and 6 8V Trojan batteries. The cart is never abused and the other day I drove it and then when I stopped and accelerated I heard a "Thunk" type sound and the cart wouldn't move...just a spinning noise at the motor .....Here is what I have done so far....I charged the cart and I am at 52.1 V......I checked each battery individually and they range from 8.45-8.71 volts...I jacked the cart up off the ground and I can turn the wheels by hand. If i give it throttle, the wheels both move up to about 1/4 throttle....If I go faster the infamous "spinning" noise occurs and the wheels slow down. Battery pack reading about 50V when accelerating fast.....SO my questions are before I tear this thing apart....
1. What am I looking for on the motor when it's out?
2. Should I take the entire rear end off the cart?
3. I have read that if its the differential, I need a new one (can't get it rebuilt?)
4. Is it possible its something else on the axel (hub or something else)

I hope you all can give me some advice, as I have never experienced this before....and also what would you recommend If I need a new differential stock? aftermarket?

Thanks for any help in advance....
EZGO_N_TAHOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Default Re: Help before I pull motor and rear diff.

I've never experienced it but every post I have seen about this says the problem is caused by a stripped hub.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Agree first thing I would check is brake hubs. Pull both brake hubs off and see is splines are striped. Pay attention to how much torge is required to loosen axle nut. This will be an indication if axle nut was loose and cause of the striped splines on drum.
Check both wheels being an “open” rear only one striped drum will cause this issue.

Next check would be motor coupler.
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

I AGREE!! its a common problem, the stripped hub that is. once you get the hubs off....seeing as the hubs are cast iron, its the HUB that's gets stripped, not the axel's, they will be fine, its that's the issue.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO