lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2021, 05:30 PM   #81
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Alignment Idiot Award - I Deserve It

With warmer weather this past weekend I was able to do a little more work.

My attempt to align the front tires did not go well due to operator error. I am admitting this hoping it helps someone else.

I marked and measured the center of the back and front tires and adjusted the tie rod ends. In no time, I had those poor tires screwed up so badly. I had a senior moment and forgot that "clockwise" was not the same direction on each tie rod. I tried to correct it but it was too much of a mess. I decided to start all over.

I removed the tie rod ends and set the tires straight using ..... well, various things including a string around the rear tires to the front of each side tied off to jack stands.... a perfect 5' 90 degree jig I made..... and even resorting to caulked lines on my garage floor after measuring off the known 90 degree corners of my garage door opening. I know it was overkill but I wanted to be sure I was starting the tires in as straight a line as possible. They were.

With the steering wheel straight the tie rods were turned - 1 bellow was shorter than the other. I had to turn the steering wheel about 90 degrees to the right to get the tie rods even on each side.

I adjusted both tie rod ends equally and they aligned perfectly with the spindles.

I rechecked the camber and it was perfect.

I reconnected the tie rod ends and rechecked the camber. It was still perfect.

I measured the back and front center from tire to tire and the distance was exactly the same. I had to make only a slight adjustment to turn the front in 1/8 inch. I tightened the lock nuts on the tie rods.

I backed the cart in and out of the garage several times and rechecked the toe in. It was holding. I torqued the nuts, remeasured the toe in and it was still good.

Did I do all of this correctly??

Now I have the problem of the steering wheel. First, I will try to remove it and turn it 90 degrees.

If that doesn't work I'll do as Cartmaster told me and remove the tip off of the lower steering column so I can rotate it.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #82
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Rode the cart up and down street today. Back in the garage I noticed the right front tire camber was no longer correct. It was leaning out, again. So, all the trouble I went to to adjust the camber did not hold.

I refuse to give up. Even though I don't think I need too, I ordered a new spindle and clevis for the right side along with a new leaf spring and new A-arms. This will mean the entire front suspension and steering is brand new. There will no longer be any more parts to replace.

If this doesn't work I'm hanging a For Sale sign on it.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #83
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

No For Sale sign!!! You gotta hang in there-you will get it!

I've followed along with this and suspect that I will be paying more attention now that I think mine might be rolling (have not taken the maiden voyage quite yet) and that I highly suspect that I will have to align the new front end.

Hang in there!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:21 PM   #84
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Did the patient survive?
ThreeCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:07 PM   #85
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Did the patient survive?
He survived but he's still in the hospital. We're in a love/hate relationship and we're not speaking right now.

I installed a new spindle and clevis for the right side along with a new leaf spring and new A-arms. All OEM. Again, the entire front suspension and steering is now brand new so I can't blame the problem on bad parts. I even ordered a new steering wheel, but just because I had wanted one.

Did these newest parts solve the problem with the camber? No.

Then, I called David Hicks. He suggested I try the adjustable steering spindle to correct the camber. I ordered it from him. Installed without an issue but the inner and outer holes made the camber worse so I had to use the center holes which brought me right back to my same problem with no improvement. In case you don't know, this spindle and king pin are about 1 3/4 inches taller than stock and come with a spacer. Therefore it pushed my a-arm and shock up and this caused some new squeaks to develop. It was very annoying. No instructions came with the spindle so I don't know if you're supposed to use your old wave washer, but I did. ALSO, the steering was much tighter with these spindles, almost to the point of being difficult.

I removed the spindles and put the old new ones back on. I aligned the tires and installed new steering wheel. It is still off, maybe not quite as bad as before, but at about 2 o'clock to the right.

Currently, I'm using the "chasing the wheel" method posted by David Hicks in the stickies. I'm close and will try to find the energy soon to finish tweaking it. Judging from an old photo I took at the beginning, it looks like I'll be back to where I started with the right tie rod being turned in much more than the left. Equal tie rods are not possible on this ungrateful cart.

I think the bottom line is that my problem has to do with the geometry, as Cartmaster said, of the front end due to the type of lift that it has.

Moral of the story. When you buy a used lifted cart be sure you know how it was lifted! The "Z" lift on a Precedent seems to be a bad option.

Anybody need parts for front end? I now have a surplus.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #86
ForBruce
Mr. Helper

Club Car

join the club..we all have done something
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Loose tire lugs.jpg (46.1 KB, 0 views)
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:42 PM   #87
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Where've you been, CC?
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #88
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I can't remember everything in this thread CC.

Did you check the frame for being bent/twisted?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:48 PM   #89
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

MC, the frame has been cut and lowered at the front like a z lift on earlier models but although done well, it has changed the angles of the front end so the geometry is out. I believe that this is the main issue. This is why the track rods do not align correctly and with equal threads each side the steering wheel is 90 degrees off centre. So yes I guess you could say the frame is out. This would definitely throw toe, caster and camber out the window. We had pretty much exhausted all other aspects as most other parts have been changed for new. There has been so much thought put into this from several members and stress on CCNorth, I just wish I was closer. I could donate one of several precedent frames I have over here for CC to start fresh. If ANYONE has a frame near her location that they do not need and is willing to part with it and even assist in a frame swap, this would put it all ready for a proper front lift with a new kit.
Also, the steering column has been extended and I think when this was done, the end of the column was accidentally rotated by 90 degrees and the location tab that slides into a slot on the steering knuckle is what puts the steering wheel off centre by said degrees. So ideally this needs fixing or replacing along with a new frame.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:51 AM   #90
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Colin, your post brought tears to my eyes. I've never had anyone offer such a kind plea on my behalf. But, it’s not necessary. My cart runs just fine and gets me around the neighborhood and that’s all that I need right now. He’s all clean and shiny but just looks like he has a lazy eye when you look at him head-on. I know my neighbors will never call this to my attention because it would be insensitive of them. It would be like me telling them one of their kids is ugly. I’m sure decorum will be maintained.
He’s way faster than the brand new fancy CC across the street and I guess that’s something. When Simicrintz finally sends me his fancy seats my cart will be the prettiest in the hood. What more could I ask for.
It’s been a long road and a real learning experience. I hope this thread is helpful to someone. Colin, you put heart and soul into my project and I cannot thank you enough. Your knowledge is amazing and you have the patience of Job.
When it seems the world is going straight to hell this forum proves that there are good, kind and sincere people left. My heartfelt thanks to everyone.

Tags
alignment, camber, tires, toein
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car