lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #1
Clubtroy
Not Yet Wild

Default 09 TXT PDS will not move, checked hub splines and axles

I thought the motor was bad so put in a new D&D 36V with Alltrax XCT controller and solenoid and no dice. Batteries are new. Opened up the rear diff and pulled the axles all splines are good and the gears I can see in the diff all look fine. I can hear a spinning whining sound around the diff when throttle is pressed. The axle spins on the passenger side but not the driver side when throttle is pressed. At my wits end... help please!
Clubtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
lazer08
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 09 TXT PDS will not move, checked hub splines and axles

Holy cow, got on here to see if I could find something on this issue. I’m in the same boat, I’ve pulled rearend and removed axles and the chuck out of the housing. Everything seems to be good, no chipped gears bearings seem to be good. I’m at a loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lazer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Connect the XCT to a computer via USB and verify motor is spinning when tires are on the ground. (Motor RPM shown on speed sensor bar graph and on gauge above it.)

If you get an RPM reading the motor is spinning and if the cart isn't moving there something stripped or broke between the tire's tread and the armature's shaft.

There are five sets of spline couplings. Two on each axle and on between motor and differential. However, the female spline coupler on the motor shaft is pressed on, so there is a possibility of it slipping, albeit remote.

-----------
Axle spinning on pax side, but not driver side. it is an open differential, so when the tires are in the air either side can spin, or both, or one forward and one backwards. Block pax side tire from turning and driver side should spin.

If it doesn't either the driver side axle is snapped or the differential cluster gears are misbehaving.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Clubtroy
Not Yet Wild

So I spoke to a nice guy at Buggies Unlimited and he told me to pull the motor and check the input shaft. So i'll be messing with that this weekend. If you go to their website and search input shaft you will see the part. This is the only thing I could not see with the diff cover off and the only thing not check to date. The motor works I spun it off the axle before connecting it up. Thanks for the info and I'll post what i find out Sunday.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
Clubtroy
Not Yet Wild

So my issue did end up being a stripped out hub. It was hard to tell because of all the brake dust on the shaft. So i tore apart the entire axle for nothing. Should have paid better attention to the hub connection to the axle splines.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubtroy View Post
So my issue did end up being a stripped out hub. It was hard to tell because of all the brake dust on the shaft. So i tore apart the entire axle for nothing. Should have paid better attention to the hub connection to the axle splines.
The easy way to check for stripped hub splines is to remove the wheel covers and dust caps so you can see the castle nut that hold the brake drum on the axle. Put the wheels on, remove jacks and jackstands and try to drive cart.

If the castle nut turns and the wheel doesn't, the splines are stripped.

It is an open differential, so it only takes one stripped hub to disable the cart.
Also, it is best to replace both hubs even if only one is stripped.

Note: Tighten the castle nut to a minimum of 70 ft/lb and tighten the nut further to line up the hole for the cotter pin.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO