lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
custom1106
Not Yet Wild

Default Marathon motor/axle swap...is it possible?

I have a 1980 Ezgo marathon that’s in decent shape. I’ve also stumbled upon a 1994 utility marathon for parts. My marathon has a bizarre motor / axle setup that the motor is out in front of the the axle...haven’t seen this type of setup before. I’d like to see if I can use the newer motor / axle with my older resistor setup or will that cause problems? It looks like the 1994 axle itself will swap in no problem.

Thanks for any info you may have!
custom1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon motor/axle swap...is it possible?

Check the brake cables. You may have to swap the brakes or modify the new ones, I'm not sure. If the newer axle will bolt on AND if the newer motor is still 36V then it will work just fine. I do not know if the utility marathon had a higher gear ratio, if it did then you will see a reduction in speed. If it didn't then it'll be the same speed.

Let me ask though, is there a reason you need to switch? Is the motor on your old cart not working or having issues?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
custom1106
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Marathon motor/axle swap...is it possible?

The reason I’m looking at swapping is I’m not seeing very much information or parts availability on the 1980 rear end...like brakes and whatnot. I figured I had the new style stuff laying around, why not try and put it to use.
custom1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO