lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2021, 12:41 PM   #1
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Double-checking my wiring?

Welp... I had a nice long post I was typing up for clarification on the wiring but.. well, all shot to heck because I picked the harness up again to double check something and.. a wire I thought was going one place.. ended up coming out somewhere else.. lol

Essentially, trying to replace every bit of wiring in my 1996 ELEC TXT and I have two wiring harnesses, a LED Light kit with it's own harness, and all new everything else.

I have all the wiring diagrams and pictures from this site, and those are super helpful.....I am just trying to get the basic wiring in so I have a starting frame of reference and, well.. the black with and red wire in the 2nd base harness did not go where I thought so, lol.. re-evaluating.

Here are the two harnesses I bought off Amazon, since a "wiring harness" is not really sold anymore.

Not sure how to add text before each photos so..

Picture 1 - The two harnesses I bought.

Picture 2 - The key switch plate with the 1st harness. It has 1 green and 1 blue wire. Now, I think I will be adding a double-push connector to one of those to allow for accessories? However.. I think the instructions for the ScottyB 30-amp converter have it on the battery so, will be following those, albeit I would LIKE to keep the accessories from being hot 24/7, just the memory for the stereo.

Picture #3 - This is the other end of the key switch. Now one would think the green wire plugs into the green wire.. heh.. but I see no blue wire so... gotta figure what that goes to.

Also at that end, there is a red and a black wire....wait.. eyes are crap.. heh.. it is an Orange wire.. ok....so that will end up at the controller, just need to figure where this end goes.. heh, for both the black and orange :P

Picture #4 - The other end of the 2nd harness. I think the 4-plug goes to the pedal and the thin white plug will be cut and go into the controller with push connectors. That leaves the black wire and the two small circle red connections, which I will assume went to the old solenoid, but will be looking further into that.

So, sorry for the post.. it helps me think out loud.

So, if you take the lights out of the equation... and all you deal with is getting it started and running and charged....most of the connections work themselves out.

So, looking at the wiring diagrams.. and I am not a wiring person... go figure...

My key switch has a Blue and a Green. So if I assume the green goes to the cable like I mentioned, then does the blue go to the FNR switch?

Okay.. I hate wiring. It's like... the manuals show you where all the parts go.. but they do not tell you where the wiring harness runs, except with Egyptian hieroglyphics and then expect one to be able to interpret solenoids etc.. heh

Sorry... just trying to type this all out and look at all the photos etc and for the love of all that is holy, they need a stupid outline of the cart that has the wiring run along it and each end says "plug this into this and that into that".

So, any insight, would be appreciated... as I despise the lack of clarity on 90% of the stupid wiring instructions that people put out.

Scotty - yours is perfectly clear and tons of info on yours, thank you for all that.. I am simply trying to get the basic wiring connected and it would seem EZGO has very little that does not require a stupid decoder ring to understand.

R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiresnew1.jpg (77.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wire1.jpg (84.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wire2.jpg.jpg (78.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wire3.jpg (75.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Questions 1.jpg.jpg (63.6 KB, 0 views)
GradyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Double-checking my wiring?

For starters, there are two kinds of diagrams. schematic diagrams and wiring diagrams.
Wiring diagrams show point to point connections of the wires.
Schematic diagrams show the electrical connections without regard to the physical layout of the wires.

Schematics tend to be a more useful tool for technicians and engineers since they show how something is supposed to work rather than how it was assembled.

Many, if not most, of the cart diagrams are a combination of the two, showing representative drawings of some components used on wiring diagrams and the electronic symbols used on schematic diagrams for others.

Making matters worse, there aren't many diagrams out there showing what you are trying to do. That being connecting an aftermarket controller (Alltrax SR series drive controller) to a aftermarket reversing contactor in an EZGO series drive.

The best diagram I have for that is attached below and it isn't very good since it is a photo of a paper copy and cuts off parts of it. If someone has a PDF of it, I would be most appreciative if you posted it on the forum.

----------------
The only problem I see in your mock-up (Photo #5) is the green wire spliced in the #1 circle and going to the green jack on the SR controller should have a switch in it.

That wire changes the personality of the SR. When it is at 0V, User-1 is active and when it has battery pack voltage on it User-2 is selected.

Other than that, it ought to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15505234521828363035866674929435.jpg (326.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Jb, here is one from evdrives. I am sure there are more.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Diagram_Forward_Reverse_No_Plug_Brake.pdf (617.3 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Jb, here is one from evdrives. I am sure there are more.
Thanks.

I have PDF or JPG copies with either pot-box or ITS throttle and 1204/5 controllers, but I'm looking for a PDF or JPG version of one specifically with an ITS throttle and an Alltrax SR controller.

The one attached to my post is a picture that only shows part of a paper copy of what I'm looking for, so I know it is out there somewhere, I just don't know where. (I do have my suspicions though )
Old 03-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I’m sneaking up on it..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Doc100-048-B_DWG-AXE-PlugBrk-Rev-wire-dia.pdf (176.3 KB, 0 views)
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welp... fat-fingered my keyboard and there went everything I typed.. heh

So, a switch off the key, you mean the FNR, correct? I saw in the diagrams where it went to what appears to be the FNR, but was unsure.

I appreciate all the help. Am in project overload atm... heh.. so, patience is sorta thin, so taking it slow.. using a lot of zip-ties.. stepping back, looking, moving things around.

I need to fabricate a mount for the 30-amp reducer and the fuse panel so they are not sitting flat on the frame.

The frame is not "bolted down" atm.. but, wanted to see where the new lights go etc and how far the harness for those needed to run... but you get the idea. Trying to keep it all clean.

Again, thanks for the help.

Oh wait.. switch.. you mean.. ok, not the fnr.. I think Scotty's pic shows where that goes to.

R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4407.jpg (107.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4406.jpg (126.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4416.jpg (110.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4417.jpg (120.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4404.jpg (122.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #7
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay, check this out. I just found this picture on Pinterest. This is the original controller. Now, it is only black and white, but if I am reading this correct...

in my 4th picture:

1 The red wire coming out about 1-2 inches before the main pin connector, actually BOTH red wires, would connect to the red side of the Solenoid.

The black would connect to the other side of the Solenoid.

The wide connector would go according to the cut wire setup from ScottyB.

One red wire comes from the pedal, that takes care of that one, and the other comes from the wide white pin that gets cut, so that is resolved.

That leaves figuring out what the black wire push connects to on the other end and what the orange one connects to :P

Then where the key switch blue goes to should be easy anouth.

The rest is a question of what the controller and batteries need, more than liely.

So, slowly getting there.

Once this is all done, I think I should have enough to actually upload the picture and wiring point diagrams that may clear it up for the next person heh.

Mounted the SW202 and added the resistors. Next, mounting the 30amp reducer and fuse panel.

Sorry for the blow by blow.. but.. heh.. figured someone would catch a mistake and, all by myself so, you all are my "company" lol

CORRECTION: I had the front diode/resistor (not an engineer.. heh) backwards. Swapped it and ran the wires for the controller.

There are more wires needed, this was just for the basic wiring harness, as I understand it. Going at this slowly till it all goes together. I do not have the batteries yet (working ones).. but hope to get a couple in the next week or so.. if not all 6... then I can test it. This keeps me from frying anything though lol

Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcefef45f5da6e1ba1a1a70d76c9b81c.jpg (50.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4418.jpg (95.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg correction 1.jpg (102.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg correction 2.jpg (93.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The wiring layout in image #5 attached to your post #1 in this thread works, so why go looking for more confusion???????????????????????

It will work better if a personality switch is added in the wire connected to the green jack on the SR. It will work as is, but USER-2 will always be selected.

-------------
FWIW: You are trying to figure out how to wire a cart with a reversing contactor with B&W a picture of a stock controller in a cart with a mechanical F/R switch assembly. They have different wiring requirements.

Use the diagram I attached to post#2 in this thread, it matches what your are trying to put together.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:27 PM   #9
GradyTX
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry, I am using your picture, but also using the instructions Scotty sent and so, just working it out in my head. Not trying to be more confusing, just chatting as I go along.

Appreciate the help.

R
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO