lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 48 volt AC vs. 48 volt DC?

What do you guys think about this article? (link below) I was planning to go 48 volts on my series txt anyway, (six eight volt batts), why not 48 volt AC? Doug, Scotty, Mike, anyone?

http://www.golfcarcatalog.com/index....archive_id=112
kdeerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

Default Re: 48 volt AC vs. 48 volt DC?

Both systems have there advantages and disavantages as the article points out. I think it will be the wave of the future, and then once Li-ion batteries get in them, it will be a great system.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you see 6, 8 & 12 volt Li-ion batteries in the near future?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Fixer,
What are the worst disadvantages of AC?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #5
huntinghawk
Gone Wild

Needing a long extension cord.
Ross
huntinghawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

6 and 12 li-ion batteries are already made and can be dropped into a golf car and get 70 miles out of a single charge, last 10 years and be charged with a delta q charger.

A?c on take off draws more power than a D/C car. If you did alot of stop and go driving, run time would be short. EZGO is finding this out with the RXV. Dealers are telling customers the cars will go 60 miles on a single charge....not true. So yes, a/c could go farther on a charge but still based on how the car is used. Cost right now is a big factor and repair, a/c motor goes bad...you buy a new motor.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXEROFCARTS View Post
6 and 12 li-ion batteries are already made and can be dropped into a golf car and get 70 miles out of a single charge, last 10 years and be charged with a delta q charger.

A?c on take off draws more power than a D/C car. If you did alot of stop and go driving, run time would be short. EZGO is finding this out with the RXV. Dealers are telling customers the cars will go 60 miles on a single charge....not true. So yes, a/c could go farther on a charge but still based on how the car is used. Cost right now is a big factor and repair, a/c motor goes bad...you buy a new motor.
Fixer,
Where could I price li-ion batteries? I am thinking I'm going 48 volts, so I guess I would need four 12 volt batts, if they dont make 8 volt batteries. Will it hurt the li-ions to run them until they are dead? I have been told not to do this with flooded lead acid batts.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #8
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

With most of the new style batteries you need a BMS, (battery management system) this will prevent the batteries from being drawn down to far, the system will make it so the car will not run. I am currently working on a project golf car with Li ion batteries....not that this has not been done before, but the price is now getting in range to be reasonable for some folks who want the latest. There are advantages..the batteries will last 8-10 years, reduce the weight of the car 120 to 150 lbs, no watering the batteries.

There are disadvantages too, in cold weather the batteries will not start out at peak output.

Currently to switch a golf cart over to Ion batteries with a BMS in place, would be about $5000.00. The local company I am working with has a trick system where the BMS is built into the top of the case that holds the cells, and it is a plug and play with the use of a Delta Q charger, its very nice system.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
kdeerman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO