lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Rebuilding Synchronizer in 99 CA1 Unitized Differential

Ran into a new problem today for the first time. Upon rebuilding the synchronizer, which was totally destroyed by the way, I can't get the brass synchro rings to seat properly on the gears. I'm using new rings and they're probably about 1/8" from seating all the way down on the ridge of the gear.. This is happening on both the forward, and reverse gear. Has anyone seen this problem before or ever bought any defective synchro rings? I've never had this problem, but then again I've never seen a diff that was this screwed up either. The inner bearing was completely destroyed with no balls at all in it. The only two things I can figure is that either A. The gears have gotten so hot that they expanded and will no longer allow for the synchro rings to fit, or B. I've got defective rings. I even thought about re-installing the old rings which didn't appear to be damaged, and they actually fit perfectly. But upon further investigation, they've both got cracks in them and actually split apart to allow them to slide down onto the gear. I'd love for somebody to shed some light on the subject. Thanks in advance.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Rebuilding Synchronizer in 99 CA1 Unitized Differential

No replies... not surprised... Tough question, I understand that... But FYI.. If anyone has this problem, please note that yes, the gears can swell when they get excessively hot and will no longer allow the synchro rings to fit onto them. I ordered a new set of gears and reassembled the synchronizer assembly today. It works beautifully.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
rib33024

Glad you got it fixed

You would never think that it has gotten so hot that they expanded and will no longer allow for the synchro rings to fit,- --No pics of this
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Glad you got it fixed

You would never think that it has gotten so hot that they expanded and will no longer allow for the synchro rings to fit,- --No pics of this
Sure if you want pics I can still take them of the old gears with another new synchro ring.... however it's such a small difference you'll never be able to notice it with pics... It's only thousandths of an inch I'm sure.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

see the problem for me was you were spoeaking greek right there! lol glad you were able to figure things out though. but as a machinist things can and will do funny things when heat gets to them.

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
rib33024

T D --I was talking about the whole taking it apart and putting the synchronizer in sure some of these guy would like to know how to do it, I got you on the swelling on the gear, but thats hot--

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Sure if you want pics I can still take them of the old gears with another new synchro ring.... however it's such a small difference you'll never be able to notice it with pics... It's only thousandths of an inch I'm sure.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
T D --I was talking about the whole taking it apart and putting the synchronizer in sure some of these guy would like to know how to do it, I got you on the swelling on the gear, but thats hot--
It's already been reassembled... I may record the next assembly though.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car