lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
icemanls2
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation OEM vs aftermarket pistons in Robin 295

Hi, I am new here but i've been lurking around for awhile and have been building carts for a long time. I thought i'd add to the information on here as there is alot of great info. I just rebuilt a robin 295 for a 99 TXT. I ordered the parts from LVS Sales Thinking i was getting OEM and got two white boxes with unlabeled aftermarket pistons,(All the rest of the parts i recieved were OEM). (I;m not bashing LVS and i should have asked beforehand) Anyways the OEM pistons have 6 small oil holes per side in the oil ring groove, the pistons i recieved had one large 2 inch opening the full height of the ring groove on both sides of the piston for oil. I looked at em and said WTH, those seem way too big (All new parts are good if they take the time to make them right?) So i installed the rings orientated properly and finished the build. I added 10-30 and drove it around and it had a detonation knock sound and smoking light to medium (just to clarify all measurements of parts were in spec). As the wagons circled in my head i drained the 10-30 and added 20-50, Why? Because 20-50 won't just burn off like 10-30 and it will heavily coat the pistons which can be seen when you shine a light in the spark plug hole, And 20-50 smokes like heck! So i drive it and it looks like i turned on a smoke machine, and shining a light in the plug hole the pistons were soaked! I mean bad! I disassembled the engine and installed OEM pistons and rings, reassembled and filled with 10-30 and the knock and smoke were gone after a couple laps to burn out all the oil in the exhaust. If the aftermarket pistons you are about to use don't look like factory or do not have a reputable name like Manley or Wiseco on em, Save yourself alot of time and trouble and don't use them. I will take photos tonight of the pistons so you all can see em.
icemanls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Default Re: OEM vs aftermarket pistons in Robin 295

Sucks on the piston issue. Just wanted to let you know the heavy weights like 20/50 are not good for air cooled engines, It actully makes them run hotter.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
icemanls2
Not Yet Wild

I know, I was doing it for a quick test to show if what i thought was going on was correct. I only drove it down the driveway and back.
icemanls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We found the oil burning was worse when using multigrade oil in any of the robbins motors.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO