lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
trav122
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up controller differences

How much performance difference will I really be able to tell between an Altrax 4845, and a 4855? (wanted the 4855, but received the 4845---another story for later!) The 4845 is a 400 amp and the 4855 is a 500 amp. I'm in hilly terrain and if I adjust for more torque and less speed, shouldn't it be similar? Will it last? I REALLY don't want to be buying a new controller every couple of years! BTW, I think I finally figured out why my 4855 fried....the dealer didn't upgrade the solenoid as it still had the 100 amp stock one in it. This is on a 03' txt series cart, with a D&D 52-26 motor,4 ga, lifted w/ 22's.Thanks in advance for your input!
travis
trav122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: controller differences

there is a signifigant difference between a 400 AMP and a 500AMP controller. That motor will take every AMP you through at it and come back asking for more. If you limit the Amperage to 400, you are limiting the torque and speed that the motor is capable of producing. Not only that, but the 400 will "heat up" faster than the 500 will.

As for the solenoid causing the failure of the controller, I doubt that is what happened. The stock solenoid should have failed long before the controller ever did.

I don't know the situation regarding the controller you got over the one you were supposed to get, but if you paid for a 500AMP, they should send you the correct part.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
trav122
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

the controller was listed as a 500 amp in the catalogue, but on the sticker attached to the controller, it's listed as 500 amp "peak". On the alltrax spec sheet, it says 400amp current limit. That's why I'm confused and am more confident in their spec sheet vs the "sticker".

At the bottom of the spec sheet in bold letters..."Incorrect contactor can cause controller failure." That's why I question the dealer not upgrading the solenoid too. So should I not be concerned about it?

Thanks for your input! I'm sending it back Tuesday.
trav122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have never yet had a failed/undersized solenoid cause a controller failure. the worst thing that could happen from a solenoid failing is that either no power gets to the controller, or the controller always has power.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

What about a bad resistor?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What about a bad resistor?
that's a whole different beast altogether..... I have had plenty of destroyed stock controllers from bad resistors.......

Tags
4845, 4855, alltrax
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO