lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
gitchesum
Not Yet Wild

Default A couple of questions about a pre-modified cart

OK, a buddy of mine picked up this 2000 Club Car Tourall Gas. It was previously modified to have the engine idle at all times instead of when you hit the gas pedal.

That being said, a few mods that I see posted here don't apply since the gas pedal runs directly to the carburator. and the governor arm isn't even connected to anything.
However, by cutting the ground wire to the rev limiter, I'm able to get it up to 16 mph at 4,000 RPM's according to my GPS. The plan is to put that ground wire on a switch so only the right people can rev it that high.

The plan for this cart is to use it at the dragstrip to run between the pit area and the track, and pulling the race truck back to the pits if something breaks. Another use would be to pull the occasional vehicle around the shop, something that weighs in the 7-8K range.

Now, for the questions.

Since we plan to use it to pull a vehicle, we'll need the torque. But, how much will switching to the 8:1 gear ratio change that bottom end pull? I think I know the answer already, but figured I would ask anyways.

Second, with the engine at idle, I can put the cart in gear, but it won't move until I get about the 2000 RPM range, and when it does engage, it does it with a pretty good jerk. Is there a way to have the transaxle engage a little sooner to prevent this?
gitchesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: A couple of questions about a pre-modified cart

Just thinking here, but, I would start to question how that transaxle is going to hold up pulling 4 ton around if you manage to get the variable clutch to give you the torque to pull it. Somebody else should answer the last part of your question, but, I believe it is part of the nature of those high torque variable clutches that when the RPMs get high enough to cause them to start to close the pulley, they really come in fast and hard.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Gitch,

Your harsh engagement sounds like a worn/sticky drive clutch (the one on the engine), or someone put a too stiff spring in it so it would idle.. Stick with the stock gears for pulling any weight.. The 8:1's will kill what little torque that little 9HP is putting out..

BTW.... Welcome to the nut house!!!!
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

if it is a carryall i beleive it is suppose to be a key activated unit and stay running. there are 12:1 gears available i think. they will help it move a lot but kill your top end. you can'e have everything.

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
gitchesum
Not Yet Wild

I've got a new spring for the drive clutch I have to install, I'll make sure to clean things up and smooth out anything that needs smoothing.

Since I have access to a good lathe and mill, I might look into the clutch machining I've seen mentioned here. I'll have to do a little research on that one though.

Then again, I might start shopping for a nice 1800CC Goldwing engine for it.......just kiddin.....kinda. :D
Old 07-07-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Gitch,

Be sure to only use a "dry" lubricant in the drive clutch, anything that stays wet will attract dirt and accelerate wear.. Is the spring you have for the drive or driven clutch?? The CVT uses two clutches, the drive clutch is mounted to the engine, the driven clutch is mounted to the rear axle.. You can install stiffer springs in the driven for more torque, the stiffer spring delays shifting so the engine stays in it's powerband longer..
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
gitchesum
Not Yet Wild

I already installed the spring in the driven clutch. :D I've also got a offset key to install when I pull the drive clutch.

You knew this thing wouldn't stay stock very long, right? :D
Old 07-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Do you have a clutch puller to remove the drive clutch?? I have one for an EZGO, but I don't believe it will work on the CC's.. The timing advance key will help the 9 horse a little bit.. You just need to drop a Vanny in it and be done..
Old 07-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
gitchesum
Not Yet Wild

I have a puller, I just need to get the time to get into it. I was rushing to get it ready for the track last week. Had I known it was going to rain out, I would have probably gotten it done.

Once this weekend is up, I'm going to tear back into it and do some stuff I want to do like clean and paint up the underside and suspension parts, run new wiring and get it all loomed up. It looks like crap under the body.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car