lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
matt H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 93 CC smokes

hello , new to golf carts and this forum .
any how my cart smokes mostly white smoke sometimes blue smoke
the car was given to me, it has sat for three years
replaced most fuel lines and cleaned the carb and
cleaned the tank along with a tune up kit
I had originally thought it wasn't getting enough fuel causing white smoke
so I replaced the fuel pump it is getting more fuel but still smokes
so I did a simple compression check and it holds a steady 170 psi .

mind you it blows blue smoke not very often , mostly white smoke
I drive it really slow to keep the smoke down and sometimes it helps
matt H is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
stinks
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 93 CC smokes

had a simular prob with my 92 gasser, still have not found the cause. mine would only smoke when it warmed up. i am in the middle of redoing top end. block and head is at machine shop. installing new 25 over piston and rings along with takeing a bit off the head. my compression was also fine before i tore it down. someone told me the oil ring could of gotten too hot which would of done it in. anyway i'll get back to you and let you know if the new rings fixed the problem. also i'm not 100% sure but it looked like i was getting some oil seepage from lifter channel to cyl when i remove the head gasket so this could of been the original problem.
stinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
matt H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

mine smokes warm or cold with no consistency , only that at med RPM
its guaranteed to smoke .

Id love hear how your project turned out
Old 08-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
vzdude
Gone Wild

White smoke due to fuel issues is usually only a diesel issue. Other than if there is water in the fuel, or in the muffler, but enough water in the fuel to smoke would surely cause a running issue as well. What is the oil level, and has the oil been changed? If they are overfull that can make it smoke too
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Valve stem oil seals ?

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
matt H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzdude View Post
White smoke due to fuel issues is usually only a diesel issue. Other than if there is water in the fuel, or in the muffler, but enough water in the fuel to smoke would surely cause a running issue as well. What is the oil level, and has the oil been changed? If they are overfull that can make it smoke too
water in the muffler would have burned out already . the cart has a modified car muffler ...goes into is the same as goes out to

wouldn't it blow white smoke if the motor was starving for fuel?

the oil has been changed , when I got the cart the oil was junk so I ran the motor dumped the old oil
put new oil in ran it and dumped the new oil followed by new oil . it does use oil it has leaks
and is burring some

the cart gets and gos but the smoke is pissing me off
Old 08-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
matt H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
Valve stem oil seals ?

Chris.
very possible it needs new seals
Old 08-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Extremely unlikely, it sounds like you are getting oil in the combustion chamber and now you have to find out where it's coming from Matt. The first possibility is worn piston rings allowing oil to get past them and into the head. A compression test will help here but may not be definitive. Second place I would be looking at would definately be the valve stem oil seals, if these are worn it will allow oil into the combustion chamber. Another thing to check apart from your oil level would be the spark plug, after a brisk run around pull and see what colour/condition it's in. White and ashy looking indicates too lean of a fuel issue, dark brown/black would point to either a rich (too much fuel, not enough air or oil contamination) issue. You ideally would like to see a nice tan colour.
This cart isn't lifted is it btw ? Some people here have had oil issues due to the dipstick giving the wrong readings after lifting.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
matt H
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

its got a 6 inch lift , Its got about a 1 1/4 quart of oil, I was told they hold / top out at 1 1/2 quart

the plug looks like burnt caked oil
I did a simple compression test and it holds a steady 170 PSI

the compression rings got to be good but as Stinks suggested, might be the oil rings burnt up ,

could it have that much compression with bad oil rings?

Its got about a 1 1/4 quart of oil, I was told they hold / top out at 1 1/2 quart
Old 08-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
vzdude
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt H View Post

wouldn't it blow white smoke if the motor was starving for fuel?

Not usually on gas engine. Not that I have seen. Been an ASE Master tech in both gas and diesel for almost 20 yrs. Gas is such a volatile liquid that most of it is burned either in the exhaust port or the muffler before you would ever see it out the tail pipe. Diesel on the other hand takes much more heat to burn, hence the white smoke of an incomplete burn when lean. I agree that seeing your compression readings, it is unlikely that the scraper rings would worn enough to smoke with that good of compression. Sounds much more likely that there are valve guide worn, or valve seals worn.
vzdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue smoke, club car, compression test, white smoke
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car