lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
ake01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Question 16 Hp Vanguard

A friend of mine has a Briggs & Stratton 16 HP Vtwin NIB. I have a 01 CC DS how much will I need to spend to get this to work in my cart? Would this be an easy bolt in, or will a kit be needed? Please help!!
ake01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

Default Re: 16 Hp Vanguard

Unless you have a 96- axle and engine cradle at your disposal, don't do it with that cart. I have a 98 CC with a 21 hp briggs and a 96 axle. It works fine. At one time I had the same cart with the 98 axle and a 18. I had to run it in reverse to go forward becasue of the different rotations. Eventually, my 18 blew up. I got a 96 axle and another briggs so the rotation would be the same. I hope this helps.
4x4 CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
sundownshifter
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a 16hp kawasaki v twin in my 98 CC and it runs fine with the 98 rearend (4 Years) and I know a couple other members on here that has not had any trouble. it will give you just little more torque and just little less speed running the gears opposite (F for Reverse R for Forward) but if you don't want to give up any speed you can more than make up with it by putting in high speed gears I suggest asking Tom this question in his forum http://forums.cartpartsplus.com/ He sells kits where I got mine for 96-down and 97 -up . I have a 96 I could take the rearend out of but I don't find it necessary I believe
you will have to make an angled engine bracket (to level up engine)and machine your shaft to fit your clutch or get a different clutch ,and must have at least a 4" lift but check with Tom he's the expert
sundownshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

SDS, what kind of speed do you get going forward? I couldnt get past 20 under 4200 rpms... Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
ake01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the replies. I already have an 8:1 high-speed gear in the cart. I have topped out at 34.1 mph running the cart at 32-3300 rpms. Usually I get and average of about 31mph. Will the top end be that much greater with the 16hp? I have already talked to Tom and it will cost me approximately $500 to get this motor working in my cart. I’m guessing that with more power I won’t lose as much speed when I have three or four people on the cart. I’m just trying to figure out if it would be worth the time and money to get a few more mph, or if the speed increase would be significant.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
4x4 CC
Frog Hunter

Club Car

With more power your cart will reach higher RPMS thus increasing your speed.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
ake01
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I have an aluminum rear flip-seat coming, and a few other items to install on the cart. If I'm not seeing at least 30mph when I am finished I will have to go with the larger engine. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
spook1
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake01 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I already have an 8:1 high-speed gear in the cart. I have topped out at 34.1 mph running the cart at 32-3300 rpms. Usually I get and average of about 31mph. Will the top end be that much greater with the 16hp? I have already talked to Tom and it will cost me approximately $500 to get this motor working in my cart. I’m guessing that with more power I won’t lose as much speed when I have three or four people on the cart. I’m just trying to figure out if it would be worth the time and money to get a few more mph, or if the speed increase would be significant.
I have a similar setup on a 84 DS it was a 10 HP Kohler I replaced it with a honda 13HP. My problem is it only goes about 8 MPH wide open. Do i change the gear or the torque converter? is the gear change simple?
spook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Spook, you have the correct rearend for the motor you have. You need to check somethings first before a gear swap. Both clutchs, belt and rpms. You need rpms to get more speed and your clutchs need to be working properly with the belt. Have you checked to see if the both are working properly? Is your throttle opening enough to get some rpms?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
spook1
Not Yet Wild

I had to do this from scratch. i have a gokart type clutch for a one inch shaft driving a 7" pulley on the differential (7/8" shaft). ihve tried other pullys but i think i need a torque converter setup and it will sovle my problems. As far as rpm's I can get 3600 easy I just want to be able to cruise the block at about 15 mph or so without turning so many rpm's. any advise will be greatly appreicated.
spook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car