lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Default Re: help needed to find part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
1moretoy, the amount of air passing across the filter will largely depend on the demand from the engine. Changing the type of filter will make little difference to the air/fuel ratio. If it did then K&N would soon be out of business.
As soon as things warm up here in Virginia I shall ditch the 1986 EZGO canister and install a direct K&N filter.
Dave
Dave,
this is the thread I was talking about. Seems there are split opinions on the air filter topic. Now I am not sure which side I want to go with.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...r-cleaner.html
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
littlecarguy
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm with Dave on this one. It's simple physics. Think of your air stream as a funnel. The air filter is the top of the funnel. The carb. is the bottom of the funnel. No matter how large you make the top of the funnel The flow through it will not change unless you increase the size of the opening at the bottom of the funnel as well.
littlecarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I read the thread and I have to respectfully dissagree with GMB74. Littlecarguy has said it all but imagine a new clean and unrestricted air filter, now as it gets clogged with the dust that it is supposed to filter out, the air flow will be restricted and eventually the engine will run rich. However the reverse is not true. With a clean filter the engine will not run lean. It therefore matters not one jot what type of air filter you have as long as you have an effective, clean filter.
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry guys, gotta disagree here. A carburetor ‘s function is based on pressure differential. The venturi of a carburetor is designed to create a low pressure zone (compared to atmospheric) at the location of the fuel nozzle. It does this by restricting the flow in that area. If you create a restriction ahead of that, you will change the effectiveness of that venturi and therefore the amount of fuel drawn into the air stream. There is even an effect on the ability of an intake system to absorb the fluctuations of intake pressure. This is why K&N makes so much money, the put more science into intake systems than OEM. I have some experience here, in a previous life, I built performance engines and have modified a few motorcycle engines along the way as well. I’ve known people to burn up engines after opening up the intake (nice free flowing filters) and exhaust (low backpressure) which caused the carb to run the engine too lean.
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #15
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

But Steve, no one is talking about opening the intake or making any changes to the carburetor. My stand is that changing the air filter will make no difference to the mixture setting. With that I rest my case
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Dave, I'm not disagreeing with you. What I am saying is it depends on where you started. If the OE setup had some built-in restriction that an aftermarket removes, you may lean your engine out. I totally agree that as long as you have atmospheric pressure at the carb horn, it matters not what happens ahead of it. Ok, well it kinda does 'cause of turbulence but we aren't talking about 2000 HP engines here.

Oh and none of this makes any difference on closed-loop fuel injection systems. They measure the exhaust gases and adjust the fuel delivery accordingly.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

atmospheric pressure at the carb horn, in almost
all filter apps you will not have full atmospheric pressure at the carb horn
therefor the main jet is responding to a greater differential than an open
carb.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #18
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
atmospheric pressure at the carb horn, in almost
all filter apps you will not have full atmospheric pressure at the carb horn
therefor the main jet is responding to a greater differential than an open
carb.
I almost said "near atmospheric" but decided not to.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO