lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default cold weather starting

This is my first winter with my first cart, an 06 TXT. In the 50's plus temps. it starts and runs fine. In the 40's and high 30's it either accelerates very slowly or like about 1/4 throttle until it warms up a while. Today it is in the low 30's and it won't accelerate. It sounds like it is idling. At first I wasn't sure if it was just turning over or idling, something I still haven't figured out in my short golf cart history. I shot some starting fluid in the air box and put a charger on the battery just to boost things up a little. No change. That said it has never done this before. Tune up is good and filter is clean, etc. Are they really this cold blooded?
SGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: cold weather starting

How often do you golf when its 40 degrees outside? LOL...they are "golf carts" after all. Sorry, I can be too sarcastic sometimes. Does your's have a choke on it?
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
kaolinemine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My own cart acted that way the other day, I found that the throttle was not being opened at carb, like something with the cables. I adjusted some slack out an been working fine after that.
kaolinemine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I do have a choke and it and the throttle are working.

Funny that you mention the 40F golfing StveB05. I seriously contemplated staying away from golf carts and getting a UTV instead because I wondered about their unique starting process working well in the cold. I decided it wouldn't be an issue after seeing the carts here in snow etc. Now I am wondering.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
tazassape
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe some gunk in the throttle cable that thickens as the temp drops, not allowing the cable to move completely. Just maybe.
tazassape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

With a choke you should not have an issue. Like the guys are saying, make sure the throttle cable is free and the govenor (if still connected) is operating properly. Then you may try to opening the mixture screw a bit.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
kaolinemine
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I read a post by ez go go to check the pulse hose===I have found my no start/hard start/no power to rev up/spit/pop--on 5 or 6 carts this winter the problem is an oily milkey substance settled in the bottom of the pulse hose causing a no gas/limited gas to the carb. Pull pulse hose off at fuel pump and spin engine over and see if you here a gurggling sound in hose -if so you can blow it back in engine or take hose of and clean out. It causes the fuel pump to not pump as it should. I always pull the pump hose off an see if i am getting a stream of gas out of pump. if not it has always been the pulse hose issue.
kaolinemine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
SGF
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

40F today and it started and ran great. I'll check the throttle cable the next time the temps drop. It looked fine when I previously checked but another look won't hurt. Also, I'll try the pulse hose cleanout next time I can get to the cart in daylight. Thanks to all for the responses.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:38 AM   #9
Gale Hawkins
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb05 View Post
How often do you golf when its 40 degrees outside? LOL...they are "golf carts" after all. Sorry, I can be too sarcastic sometimes. Does your's have a choke on it?
What about those who ride the cart down to the pond to ice skate or to take the trash out to the main highway?
Gale Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #10
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins View Post
What about those who ride the cart down to the pond to ice skate or to take the trash out to the main highway?
I know, I know...I was just being an a$$.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO