lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
brandonhd
Not Yet Wild

Default Reverse most of the time, forward not often

I got a 91 two stroke ez-go. The motor runs great. When i put it in reverse it takes off, when i switch to forward it make a bussing sound and doesn't start. The belt doesn't spin either. If i drive it in reverse then throw it into forward while its still running it will catch and drive forward till i stop and let it turn off. I thought the forward/reverse switch was going out so i got a brand new one and its still doing the same thing.

It has been gradually been getting worse over the last year. It would do it ever now and then last year, now every time i drive it i got to start in reverse and slam it into forward. Sometimes it doesn't start in reverse either and ill have to try it in forward than reverse back and forth till it catches.

Thanks in advance for any help
brandonhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
rokcrlr
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reverse most of the time, forward not often

carefull going backwards and throwing it in forward. I here that is a good way to bust a crankshaft off.
rokcrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
brandonhd
Not Yet Wild

Yea i figured it probably wasn't good for it. I'm not driving it anymore till i get it fixed.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I think that I would be tempted to mark the cables on the F-R switch and remove them. Remove the complete assembly and examine and clean the contacts. Clean the cable studs and the crimps on the end of the cable and reassemble.

If that doesn't do it then do the same to the cables on the starter. Be aware that you must use a thin wrench under the cable to prevent the stud turning and ripping off the wire on the inside of the housing.

If that doesn't do it then remove the starter and pop the brushes to see how worn they are.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #5
brandonhd
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
I think that I would be tempted to mark the cables on the F-R switch and remove them. Remove the complete assembly and examine and clean the contacts. Clean the cable studs and the crimps on the end of the cable and reassemble.

If that doesn't do it then do the same to the cables on the starter. Be aware that you must use a thin wrench under the cable to prevent the stud turning and ripping off the wire on the inside of the housing.

If that doesn't do it then remove the starter and pop the brushes to see how worn they are.

Dave

The F-R is brand new and all connections looked great there, just replaced the switch this past weekend.I will try cleaning the connecting point at the starter and go from there.

So if the starter's brushes are getting bad that could be my problem?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Apologies I should have read your posts more carefully. Yes I think that you should check the cables on the starter, you can ignore the thin green one which is just the charger regulator. If it always started in reverse then we can rule out the common things like the microswitch and solenoid. If it isn't the connections on the generator it could be the brushes. My thinking is that 99% of the time it would have been started in forward and if the brushes are very worn then maybe in reverse they pick up better.
When testing it won't hurt to remove the starter belt to reduce the load on the battery. Getting the brushes out is fairly simple just prise out the four rubber plugs and remove the philips head screw.
Good Luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
brandonhd
Not Yet Wild

I'll try that. Its at the beach house which is a couple hours away from where i live, so it'll be a couple weekends before i get back down there. I'll post back the results.

Thanks for your help Dave
Old 05-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
brandonhd
Not Yet Wild

Well it turns out that the starter belt was loose, it runs great now that i tighten it up. I feel like a D.A. for not checking that before.

Tags
buzzing, forward, reverse, start, switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO