lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
cobraclay
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Brakes squealing?

Do I need to replace them or what other things would cause them to squeal? I have a basic 2001 36v ezgo, so Im guessing it just has drums in the rear, and no I have not taken them off to look at everything, just thought Id see what to look for from you guys before I took it apart...The brakes work fine, but I have to baby them in to keep from squealin too loud, and Im wanting to use this in the woods for deer hunting and dont want these loud noises obviously...Thanks!
cobraclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Brakes squealing?

Usually a good cleaning of all parts and surfaces will do the job. It's a labor of love....
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Been fighting this problem for a long time. Take the drums off and blow everything with high pressure air. Sand the shoes and the inside of the drums. (you are trying to break the glaze). Blow again. Re-assemble. This should take care of it for awhile. This was never a permanent fix for me and "awhile" sometimes meant 2 weeks. Last summer I replaced the shoes and drums altogether. They have been quiet since but I am not confident the problem is cured. If they start squeaking again it will be discs for me.

Note: when you re-assemble make sure castle nuts are tight and don't back off to get the cotter pin to fit.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
cobraclay
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, what grit sand paper or does it matter?
cobraclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not too aggressive. I used fine(150) because I had it around. Abrasive cloth would probably work also.
Again, this was always a temporary fix for me. Give the shoes a good look while you're in there. Mine were original when I swapped them and looked pretty good, but with a hard look you could see that they were wearing unevenly. This is common I believe. Based on my experience I would replace the shoes if they look worn at all. (not expensive)

The brakes draw lots of complaints on this forum but you can dial them in pretty good if you commit to it. However, they are aggravating

If I were to do this all over again, at the first sign of trouble I would go directly to the discs.

Interestingly, my 20 year old Marathon with pretty much the same brakes has never had this problem.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO