lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Operation of EZGO Textron Total Charge

I have this model (LR69689) paired with a '91 Marathon and the service manual for this equipment (no.25122-G1).
Operation: With the charger plugged into an AC source (wall outlet), turn the timer fully counterclockwise to the off position. Plug the cord into the cart receptacle and you should hear the charger "click". Now turn the timer fully clockwise to the start position and observe that the charger comes on (hums) and the amp meter jumps to approximately 20 amps. The amps will slowly decrease down to 1-3 amps as the batteries reach full charge. The charger will completely charge the batteries and automatically shut off when complete and the timer will stop indicating how long it took to charge the batteries. This is for info only but can help with trouble shooting. Normal charge time is 6-10 hours. If the charger runs the full 12 hours I would consider this abnormal and suspect a problem with the charger or more likely the batteries.
The charger will charge for a maximum of 11 hours when set at "1" , 10 hours when set at "2" and so on.
If AC power is interrupted, the charge cycle will continue normally for the remainder of the cycle when power is restored.
This model charger my react differently to unusual situations depending on whether it has the penta or avex module but this is JohnnieB teritory and I am afraid to go there.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
@ TreeBass: Thanks for the picture. You've got the one I was referring to.

I've never (or at least not yet) found a manual or schematic for that particular version, but I'm pretty sure it is the same as a Total Charge IV except for the timer. (The TC IV has a digital time with LED readout)

While you are playing around with it today, please see if it the charger will start (ammeter deflects to a value) with the Timer in the "OFF" position.
I'm about 99.99% sure it will, but I want to be 100%

If it is like the TC IV, the charger operation is totally independent and the timer is more or less eye candy unless you have a need to know how long it took to charge a battery.

Some of the chargers on the market today have the same guts that is hidden inside that old case, dressed up with new lipstick and mascara.
Unless the transformer fails, everything else is replaceable, so it is a Keeper.
Charger does not start with timer in off position. Manual implies that it doesn't but I went and tried it to be sure.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
........... but this is JohnnieB teritory and I am afraid to go there.

Have no fear, I'm here to learn as well as share.

No joy finding the service manual you mentioned on-line, but did find a parts manual for a 89-91 Marathon (24566-G1) and it had a wiring diagram for a Total Charge that is different than any I've seen before. It appears that the timer that the timer is an integral part of the AC power circuit to the transformer primary and does play a role in turning the charger on/off.

Does your charger look like the one in the picture posted by TreeBass?
If not. please post a picture, so I can add it to my collection.

From what I've learned so far, EZGO sold more flavors of chargers than Baskin-Robbins did Ice Cream.
On the brighter side, most, if not all, of the legacy chargers are repackaged versions of the original Lester design and do a good job maintaining deep cycle batteries when used properly.

Added: Thanks for the info Kernal, I'll have to remember that.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

Does your charger look like the one in the picture posted by TreeBass?
If not. please post a picture, so I can add it to my collection.

From what I've learned so far, EZGO sold more flavors of chargers than Baskin-Robbins did Ice Cream.
On the brighter side, most, if not all, of the legacy chargers are repackaged versions of the original Lester design and do a good job maintaining deep cycle batteries when used properly.
Yes, same model (LR69689), same green label but black case instead of grey.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

It's been several years since I did it, but on those green faced manual chargers, you can replace the manual knob timer with the timer board assembly from IIRC a TCIII and in effect turn that charger in to a "plug & play" automatic charger.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
esvencarlson
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry for the delay in getting the sn, had surgery yesterday on my ulnar nerve and right arm in cast.
Under the word TOTAL CHARGER, there is the wording, listed 20L4 and LR 69689.
Have put the dial on START and plug it in, goes to 25 amps on the gauge, go back 2 hrs later and the timer has not moved, but it has shut down.
I have to run the cart for a while and put it on charge and take a look as to what the charger does.
Thanks for all the input on this subject.
E. Sven
esvencarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #17
TreeBass
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, Kernal is correct, it will not start with just pluggin it in, once you roll the knob over to a "timed" setting it starts charging. If I place it on start and walk away, it will shut off automatically.

I did check my pack voltage today, 37.2, with most of the batteries around 6.19-6.20 and one that is right at 6.13 I believe.

It seems to take a charge, but drains pretty quick. I'll range test it next week with a buddy (so I have a way of getting it back to camp)

I see new batteries in my future...

Thanks for all the help
TreeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback, I learned from it.

Apparently there are two electrically different versions of the Green faceplate Total Charge out there as well as two different case colors.
The good news is that the basic charging circuit is the same in all of them and they are all good chargers once one figures out how to turn them on.

Like I said earlier, I'm here to learn as well as share.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO