lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
rtgec
Not Yet Wild

Default Charging with new batteries

Just installed new batteries in my 2000 txt. It had been sitting for at least a year. Runs great now. Connected the charger but it doesn't come on. Checking at the connection point, with charger disconnected, I get 37.9 volts. Do I have to run it more to get the voltage down before the charger comes on.? Or should it come on, then if no charge necessary it would shut off.

Thanks in advance.
rtgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging with new batteries

Welcome to BGW.

First and Foremost. Your new batteries need to be fully charged before they are used.
Sounds like it is a little too late for that, but if they still have a 90% charge (37.9V) they probably haven't been damaged.

If at all possible, don't use your cart again until you get your charger fixed and your batteries fully charged.

Also, new batteries only have about 75% of their max capacity and have to be broken-in properly to get them up to their maximum storage capacity.
Here is how to do it:
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

In fact, Go To Scottyb's website and read everything on the top left menu that has the word battery in the title.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/

As for the charger not turning on, it has been setting for a while, so I suspect there might be some dirty contacts in the battery sense circuit.
Clean the outside of the Negative post in cart's charger receptacle and clean/tighten the Aux. contact in the charger Plug. (Silver contact next to the negative Radsok.)
Also, try wiggling the plug around a bit and then hold it up with light pressure.

If charger still does not come on, let us know and we'll do some troubleshooting.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
rtgec
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB
Thanks for the quick reply. I've cleaned both the plug and recepticle, but still
get no response from the charger. The needle doesen't even move. I have a 12v car charger and can use that for now. I've read posts describing the process but they state no wires need be removed. I am having trouble visualizing this since they ARE all connected. How is the charging isolated to just the two batteries being charged as 12v.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can try plugging the charger in and holding the cord end up snug in the receptacle for 1 minute without moving..... the receptacle connections sometimes wear and this will make connection for long enough to let the charger relay to react. If this doesn't work, it's most likely you have a charger circuit board problem, statistically speaking.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

like this ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12V Series tutorial.jpg (72.1 KB, 10 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not trying to be smart, but have you made sure the ac outlet has power? I messed with a fan for awhile once until I figured out there was no juice!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
rtgec
Not Yet Wild

Yes the outlet definitely has power. I guess if I take it apart I can make sure that the charger power cord is in fact supplying power to the charger.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Spawn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do you have a neighbor or friend you can barrow a charger from to see if it works. Maybe take your charger to a dealer and see if it works on another cart. It may have a blown internal fuse. Lots of variables. Some can be fixed others not so much.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgec View Post
Yes the outlet definitely has power. I guess if I take it apart I can make sure that the charger power cord is in fact supplying power to the charger.
Which charger do you have? (Manufacture Name - Model Name - Model Number, There are a lot of different ones out there)
Post picture of faceplate if possible.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO