lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
cbordea
Getting Wild

Default batteries question

ok, I've done some searching and reading.
I bought a 91 EZGO, the previous owner said it was working fine in August but his wife hooked the charger up backwards on one battery and blew it up.
He said I should be able to get one battery and get going again.

Looking at the battery thread it said to read the code from the battery post.
Mine says A-3.
If I understand the other thread correctly this means my batteries are from 2003 and I should very likely replace all 6. Is this correct?

The owner also said they "refurbished" 3 of the batteries by draining the electrolyte, running a charger with just distilled water and replacing new electrolyte. Is this a real solution?
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: batteries question

You are in the market for a new set of batteries. None of the so called rejuvenation methods work well, if they did none of us would be buying new batteries. Buy the biggest GC batteries you can afford and enjoy!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
cbordea
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
... Buy the biggest GC batteries you can afford and enjoy!
thanks Scotty, that is kind of what I was thinking.
I'm thinking GC is a gel cell, kind of like an Optimum or something? I'm completely new to the golf cart arena.

This is an old 91 cart from the beach with a little surface rust on the battery tray. I think I can sand down the frame and put paint it or put some undercoating on it and stop the bleeding. It is still real solid.
I got it for $300 with a new charger, lights and a fancy mirror.

I'm hoping to get it going and get a few years out of it and maybe upgrade to a newer cart.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Gel batteries are still prohibitive in cost for most people. This system was designed for wet cell batteries and they do pretty well when properly used.
Get the highest amp hour rating battery available and some nice 4g cables though out the cart and enjoy the ride!

Whenever you need batteries, maybe it's time for a 48v conversion?
Install 6/8v and change the controller, solenoid, and charger for a 33% increase in speed and torque.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
cbordea
Getting Wild

thanks Scotty, I was thinking if the gel batteries were like the optimum at ~$200 each that would be out of my range.

If batteries are my only problem I'll likely just replace the batteries and go from there. If there are other components that need replacing I might look into a conversion.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbordea View Post
This is an old 91 cart from the beach with a little surface rust on the battery tray. I think I can sand down the frame and put paint it or put some undercoating on it and stop the bleeding. It is still real solid.
There are a number of products that stop rust and convert it into a paintable surface. I used a Rustoleum product, then coated it with truck bed liner. I just assumed that truck bed liner would be more durable than undercoating, but haven't done any research to validate this assumption.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
OutCole'd
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Gel batteries are still prohibitive in cost for most people. This system was designed for wet cell batteries and they do pretty well when properly used.
Get the highest amp hour rating battery available and some nice 4g cables though out the cart and enjoy the ride!

Whenever you need batteries, maybe it's time for a 48v conversion?
Install 6/8v and change the controller, solenoid, and charger for a 33% increase in speed and torque.
Scotty, do you have a favorite brand?
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO