lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
jonequest
Gone Wild

Default RXV went in water non running good deal at $1,000???

This is what I am going to look at tomorrow. The owner says his son went in the water and it ran for a while then died. He said the battieries are about 1.5 years old and he tried replacing the motor and has given up. Sounds like a deal. Is it??
jonequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: RXV went in water non running good deal at $1,000???

Not sure where you are but a running 08 RXV with 2010 batteries around here is under 2K and the controller for the RXV is around a grand so... It might be something simple however. Will they let you give it a good once over first ??
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
jonequest
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Not sure where you are but a running 08 RXV with 2010 batteries around here is under 2K and the controller for the RXV is around a grand so... It might be something simple however. Will they let you give it a good once over first ??
Dang. I thought it would be a steal of a deal. How come the RXV are not more valuable. They are the newest style right? I already have a series TXT that I have upgraded to 48 volts but I am always looking for a deal. Plus I figured if it needs a controller maybe get a fast programmable Alltrax one while I am at it.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I have no experience with RXVs, but have quite a bit of experience with rescuing non-buggy motors and electronics that were submerged in salt water, clean water, and sewage.

I'd take a methodical approach before jumping in.

How deep did it go? How long was it under? What could have been damaged?

Batteries - did they get flooded and possibly diluted, maybe lost some acid, disconnect controller and try to charge and test them.

Rear-end - see if water is in the oil, if not, consider replacing the sealed bearings. If so, think about other bearings, flush well, but otherwise, should be fine.

Controller - dunno, but I've had good luck just rinsing with distilled water then drying electronics.

Motor - tear apart, rinse with distilled water, replace bearing, dry.

etc.

Sounds like a lot of work, and maybe parts.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonequest View Post
Dang. I thought it would be a steal of a deal. How come the RXV are not more valuable. They are the newest style right? I already have a series TXT that I have upgraded to 48 volts but I am always looking for a deal. Plus I figured if it needs a controller maybe get a fast programmable Alltrax one while I am at it.
Sorry guy. One reason they are that cheap here is the EZ-Go plant is 20 miles away. Prices are coming down because the first sets of them are coming in off the 3 year leases. I just bought an 08 with 2011 batteries that had just been replaced late last year. Can't say for how much because I made a deal with my dealer. They had a job that needed done and I helped them get throught it. Changed the batteries out of 55 RXV carts.. Cost me some Advil but he made it right

As for the controller, RXV's are AC so no Alltrax for it. Only replacement I know of is factory and it retails over a grand. I do like the cart though. A arm lower bushings and sleeves were shot and a bear to change but like $30 later, she is rolling smooth.

I don't know enough about the RXVs yet to tell you what to look for but if it was submerged.. I'm thinking controller but maybe somebody will jump in..
Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
jonequest
Gone Wild

Good info guys keep it coming. I think this may be an expensive repair since parts may be rare. Stock controllers are usually easy to get when there are aftermarket ones everywhere. I can see why these may be hard to troubleshoot as well. AC does complicate things a bit. I am just tempted since it has lights, $350 back seat. 1.5 yr old batteries, etc. He also claims to have already changed the motor trying to fix it.

I just looked and EZGO wants $1,057.00 for the controller!!! That may kill this deal real fast unless I just convert it to a 48 volt series cart on a 36 volt motor.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Stehle
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Okay, real deal... I had 2 employees & 1 son's friend put them into various ponds, twice I saw corners of cart roof exposed at the surface.

Long story short... 2 had problems after, 1 I charged (son's friend) and rode off after a day or three drying. (He was lucky that day.)

Thank the stars for 4X4's!

Older 36v's & no controller though.

(A Moral too... Never let a person AROUND WATER tell you, "Of course I know how to drive them... I drive golf carts all the time!"
'nuff said.

Fish Farmer Dave
Stehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Unless it was free and I knew I could make money parting it out, I'd leave it. I dig the RXV dash, but the body styling is a huge turn-off for me.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonequest View Post
Good info guys keep it coming. I think this may be an expensive repair since parts may be rare. Stock controllers are usually easy to get when there are aftermarket ones everywhere. I can see why these may be hard to troubleshoot as well. AC does complicate things a bit. I am just tempted since it has lights, $350 back seat. 1.5 yr old batteries, etc. He also claims to have already changed the motor trying to fix it.

I just looked and EZGO wants $1,057.00 for the controller!!! That may kill this deal real fast unless I just convert it to a 48 volt series cart on a 36 volt motor.
If it has the factory light kit, that is a $485 option from EZ-Go. If he has changed the motor there isn't much else than the solenoid or the controller. As these are fairly new in the cart market, finding a used controller may be tough. You would have to find one that someone had wrecked and was parting out. But for a grand, plus a controller, might not be bad. EZ-Go does do some 20% sales every once in a while and they have a 15% off right now.

As for converting, this cart has no normal brakes or normal brake pedal or normal rear axle. All of that would have to be changed plus motor plus controller.

Sorry to be the party pooper but ..
Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
jonequest
Gone Wild

Sounds like these are a royal pain to fix or upgrade. I think I may pass on it. Sounds like a great deal with the extras on it but I really don't see any "profit" in the deal the more I look at it. If I can buy one running for $2,000 why pay $1,000 for one that needs lots of work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO