lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
miamibankerguy
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 gas - How to make faster

My first post, great forum and thanks in advance to all.

New to me G29 gas, bone stock, hits 14mph on the GPS but can feel the governor totally supressing it. I am not a great mechanic, but have friends that are!

I would like to adjust the governor and have found many posts on how to do so, but not many for the G29. I also just read about putting a zip tie on it, any thoughts?

I don't need to go super fast, but would love to pick up a few more mph, any advice?

Thanks!
miamibankerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 gas - How to make faster

the zip tie trick works great, plus you can remove it easily. if you follow the throttle cable back to the transmission, you will find the governor bracket. it has a threaded rod with a 10mm nut on it, you can either tighten the nut all the way down, or.install a zip tie that holds the spring tighter giving the same effect. this will get you about 18-19 mph top speed. i'll post a pic of the governor arm later.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
miamibankerguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

here is a pic of a quick zip tie job on a YDRA (G29). This can be done from under the seat, but is much easier if you remove the rear cover (the angle from where the photo was taken). DO NOT flip the spring like the old days. if you have no idea what "flip the spring" is, then dont worry about it, it would only cause you heartache later ($$$).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130617_153427_735-1061447120.jpg (133.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You are better off to remove/disable the governor if you turn the nut all the way in and its not fast enough, though many carts dont go much faster than that anyway because the engine can't rev higher. Make sure you don't have a bunch of slack in the pedal cable before it opens the carb, but make sure there is enough the carb shuts before the engine turns off (via pedal switch). If you keep the governor on there too tight it will wear out the throttle cable faster with the pressure it makes. Some say they can blow the governor in the trans but rarely seems to happen. The real problem is you need more gearing to go faster, from larger tires or HS gears.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

I think he only wanted "a little more". I have had the unfortunate experience of changing many of those input shafts (from "flipped" springs), the collar wears where the 3 fly-weights ride on it. I have a hard time recommending disabling the governor, too many old folks would exploit their warranty. HS gears is an ok option, to get about 25 mph, if you arent getting a lift and big tires.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/yamaha-speed-spring
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

that sounds great, but, the problem with the TEAM input shaft governor collar will only be amplified by putting even more force on it. that is why i tell anyone who will listen not to flip the original spring. this goes against everything i have been trying to discuss/fix with TEAM. the dana axle had several revisions to fix the same problem in the dana axle. Dana finally fixed it by putting a torrington bearing (flat roller) on the governor collar. until a true fix is put in this axle, i will not recommend putting any more force on the collar than turning up the stock 10mm nut (zip tie is the same as this). if you have not seen the razor-sharp worn out collar problem yet, wait a couple of years, you will understand later.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
miamibankerguy
Not Yet Wild

Interesting stuff guys, thank you. Larger tires will be the next project, will probably try the zip tie trick or just tighten the governer nut up. All interesting stuff, I am sure once i get a little more, I will want even more!
Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
miamibankerguy
Not Yet Wild

Stupid question, how do you get the rivets out and back in on the rear cover? Feel like i am going to break something...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha