lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
roger_that
Not Yet Wild

Default Jumper wire from solenoid?

Hello everyone. This is my first post here but I usually review this forum when I have problems with golf carts and I always find a thread to help me, so thank you all for that already, because I am pretty clueless when it comes to golf carts.

I have a 94 electric club car golf cart. This one has the coils in the back with 1 solenoid. When I have everything lined up correctly, the solenoid doesn't click and the cart won't move. so, I jumped the wires and it runs. I replaced the solenoid 2 different times and it still wouldn't click. somewhere I read about jumping it from the solenoid to the battery, so I tried that and sure enough it ran. The wire runs from the front "small" terminal on the solenoid to the positive battery terminal. The solenoid clicks only when the pedal is pressed but the cart will run whether the key is on or off.

I took the wire off because I am not sure if that is dangerous. It does seem to charge with the wire on.

Other steps I have taken: tried hot wiring to see if it was in the key. checked the microswitch in the v-glide and it clicks. check the microswitch on the F/R and it clicks as well.

I saw this thread was very similar to mine, but the OP left the thread before a solution was posted. It says I must be a member for 7 days to post a link. Hopefully my work around is ok since it is a link to this forum....

www(dot)buggiesgonewild.com/electric-ezgo/49390-ezgo-runs-if-jumper-wire-solenoid-battery.html

Does anyone have any suggestions, or know if it is ok to leave that wire on from the solenoid to the positive batter terminal or will this wear the batteries and/or other problems?

Thank you for any suggestions
roger_that is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Jumper wire from solenoid?

You are bypassing the + side of the solenoid activation circuit to make it work. So check the micro switch at the F&R and the one in the V glide to repair the circuit
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
roger_that
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You are bypassing the + side of the solenoid activation circuit to make it work. So check the micro switch at the F&R and the one in the V glide to repair the circuit
Thank for the quick reply. I did put a new microswitch on the F/R. With the key off, I hear a click for the microswitch in the V glide. Is it possible that it is broken even though it clicks? I will try a new one there if so.

I'll probably need this cart sunday. If I can't figure it out by then, do you think it is dangerous or a problem to put the wire back on from the solenoid to the positive battery terminal?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
roger_that
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the microswitch in the v-glide and still won't run. I don't know what else to try. Both the microswitch on the v glide and f/r have been replaced. I've tried new solenoids. And I've even replaced the end of the wires incase it wasn't making a good connection to the solenoid terminals.

Anyone know if the red wire from solenoid to positive battery terminal will ruin the battery/solenoid/motor?
Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . have you checked for pack voltage at F/R switch, solenoid and VGlide switch when powered up? You have to figure out where you are losing the power in the circuit rather than throwing parts at it . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
roger_that
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . have you checked for pack voltage at F/R switch, solenoid and VGlide switch when powered up? You have to figure out where you are losing the power in the circuit rather than throwing parts at it . . .
I have no clue how to do that

Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Turn key on, put cart in forward, and step on the go pedal. When you do all that ( keeping the pedal down, you should get the full pack voltage across the 2 small terminals of the solenoid.

If you are getting full voltage there, your solenoid may be bad.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The problem is in the solenoid activation circuit. As you have learned one of the small terminals is supplied with 36v negative and the other with 36v positive. When this happens the solenoid clicks and the cart operates as it should. This indicates to me that the solenoid is working.
The problem remains in the solenoid activation circuit. There is a micro switch on the forward and reverse switch which feeds the microswitch in the V-glide. Maybe this microswitch is bad or has no supply.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car