lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
Colelol
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 04 EZ-Go Shuttle 956 Speed/Torque Increase

Hey Guys How's it going?

I am new here and we purchased a 2004 EX-Go Shuttle with at 295cc engine.
We plan on using this cart as a parade cart for a club that I belong to and was hoping that we might be able to pull a trailer with people on it when we have more then six people. I don't think how its currently setup will allow us to do that so I was wondering if there are any tricks that we might be able to do or add to the cart to help increase some towing capacity without a motor replacement. The motor is in great condition it has just been installed from being rebuilt not to sure about the clutch. Sorry but my experience is very limited on this small of a scale and a cart at that. Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks so much!
Cole
Colelol is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 04 EZ-Go Shuttle 956 Speed/Torque Increase

The two easiest torque improvements would be to either swap the driven clutch that's in there for a 28 degree clutch *or* buy a 28 degree helix and ramp buttons and convert the one You have, plus pick up a new belt that's 1" shorter than stock. The difference in torque between the stock 36deg clutch and a 28deg is night and day for towing and pulling, and a shorter belt will keep the clutches in higher ratio longer than a standard belt, which also is a HUGE improvement in torque.

The last option would be to swap the rear end gears from the stock 12:1 to a set of 15:1 - THAT is fairly involved as well as expensive though - and in all honesty, doing the clutch and belt will net you about the same increase. Now if You were to do all three, you'd have a cart that could pull a house down, but it would also have a top speed of about 8mph, LOL (which would ruin any kind of fun except for the parades)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Oh, BTW - some o f the Shuttles actually came with the 28 degree clutch, so before You go ordering anything it'd be best to confirm what You have - the driven clutch is the rear one (not the one on the engine but the one on the transaxle) and as you look down on it from the top, you'll see the helix which is the portion of the clutch that is the widest, it's between the clutch sheaves and the transaxle itself. On the inside face of the helix (facing the transaxle) will be a number cast into the metal itself, stock is "36" and the power clutch is "28" - take a peek as to which yours is and we can lead You from there. And also, WELCOME to the Forum !!!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Colelol
Not Yet Wild

Thank You for the reply! I will have to check the clutch out... But it sound like a shorter belt would be a quick fix that may help out in a pinch. I have been looking and some places sell something called a clutch tuning kit and it looks like its just a spring in the clutch that's replaced. What's the thoughts on that? Also see some that have some directions to have the cart always running at an idle speed rather then the engine start when the throttle is actually pushed down. Any other suggestion or mods that one would recommend? Also when looking online I'm guessing that the Shuttles are a TXT cart? I cant seem to find much about the 956 series cart.

Thanks for the welcome to the site. I hope my questions I ask have not been answered before and if they have please feel free to point me in the right direction. Also, thanks for taking the time to reply. We have a lot to learn in the cart but I think we have made a good decision upgrading from our tractor that really only goes like 5mph top speed!

Also, is there a kit I can get to change the 36 to the 28? I want to make sure I can get the correct parts.

Cole
Old 11-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

The 956 is basically a TXT/Workhorse as far as the drivetrain is concerned - in fact, if it's a 956 and not a 964, make sure to look at that clutch, it's likely a 28 already. The tuning kits are good for the 36deg clutches, but in all honesty I haven't seen a huge increase using them on the 28's, maybe 5-10% as the clutches are already designed to maximize efficiency.

As to the drive clutch kits that allow a constant run and idle, I would definitely NOT recommend them for a parade situation. The design there is to install a stiffer spring,etc so the clutch engages at a higher RPM, which (especially with a 28deg and shorter belt) can cause very "jerky" starts, even squawking the tires at times (would drive ME nuts in a parade setting) ... STick with a shorter belt for now, there is a "sticky" in the EZGO TECH section at the top of this subforum that will help You ascertain which shorter belt You need (treat your cart as a 2002 TXT when looking it up).

I believe CartPartsPlus.com carries the helix and buttons if it turns out You have the 36deg clutch - they're site sponsors to so they are always ready and willing to bend over backwards to help members out. (As I said though, check your clutch as the 6-pass models almost always came with the 28deg) ...

That belt really is instantly noticeable - keep in mind though (just an observation from experience) that it's a BAD idea to throw one on the day before a parade, it takes the new belt about 4 or 5 hours of use to break in, and during that period can be a little jumpy and grabby (meaning as described above with the sudden engagement, lurching, etc) - give it a good afternoon of cold beer and some recreational driving and it'll settle in nicely !!!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:18 PM   #6
Colelol
Not Yet Wild

Well... It had its madden voyage... It was a great improvement over our old tractor. We were able to get around much easier. However, I don't think we will be able to pull a trailer anytime soon... We really don't think it have enough oomph to do so....

It dose have the 28degree clutch already installed like you thought... That is great news for us. I plan on getting a shorter belt and see what it does for us over the winter....

Thanks for all your help with this new adventure! Im sure we will be asking for other suggestions for mods in the coming year... Maybe a 4 person cart trailer I don't know if you can do a lift with this cart since its kinda carryover type body but would be cool if we could!

Here a picture of it in its first parade!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgocart.jpg (74.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO