lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
Expat
Not Yet Wild

Default Dana Transmission Actuator

Gas Pros,

The Cart is a Gas, EZ-GO, TXT with Lights, year 2000.

Anyone understand how the actuator on the Dana gas transmission works? Looking at the repair manual image it seems to me that the spline that meets the driven clutch is a solid piece with larger gearing on the inside of the tranny that connects directly to the next larger gear. How is that the actuator changes the gearing in the transmission? Or is the actuator changing it’s position based on the how the driven gear is spinning and then it’s just changing the butterfly position on the carb?

The cart has no low-end torque with plenty of top end speed. Will not climb a hill from a dead stop. I’m trying to rule out all possibilities.

Thanks
Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Expat
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Dana Transmission Actuator

The Governor actuator does nothing to the gearing on the Dana tranny. The centrifical force on the input shaft gear which has the weights push the thrust bearings into the actuator rod causing it to move the throttle linkage to close the butterfly on the Carb.

Wikipedia has a good articl on understanding what goes on in the differential. How the power gets transfered to the wheels via the planets and sun gears. With a couple illustrations that make it easy to understand.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:37 AM   #3
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I'm not sure what you are asking other than your cart has no low end torque.
What all have you diagnosed to this point other than what you covered in the other post?
In the link I posted for you, Ruredy talks about how the governor works to limit speed, etc. Although I am not well versed in what all goes on inside the dana rear end, I don't think that the gearing is actually changing. The gear ratio is changing based on the relationship between the drive and driven clutches.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #4
Expat
Not Yet Wild

Yes you are right. There is no gear changing going on inside the tranny. The external driven clutch is the only place that happens.

I was trying to understand what goes on in the tranny and now putting it out there for others.

The actuator simply pulls back on the carb throttle when the weighted input shaft gets spinning fast enough to push on the thrust bearing.

I'll check your other post.

Thanks for your time.

Tags
actuator, dana, tranny, trans
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO