lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #21
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: FINISHED!! 84V lithium powered AC motor TXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Sweet, hope it works great for you too.got any plans for maintaining a good balance for the life of the batts (how to be sure they stay balanced)? I feel they should be "top charged" every so often, if you are using the "top balance" system i think you are using. Just wondering if you have any "checks & balances" system in mind.
I was actually thinking about that yesterday. My mini-bms modules are designed with HVC of 4.1. It will shunt batteries that are approaching HVC to slow their charge. So 4.1V X 22 cells is 90.2.

My charger is also set to turn off at 90.2V. So the bms and charger both turn off at the same charge voltage if everything is perfectly balanced. I was considering changing the voltage on the charger to turn off at one cell more, or 90.2 +4.1V =94.3V This would insure that the bms would be responsible for turning off the charger. I could run a few charge cycles like this to top balance the pack, and then revert back to the original settings. I would rather have the charger be responsible to turn itself off and then have the bms as the backup. Certainly don't want or need to charge the pack to its maximum voltage for my uses.

What is your opinion ???
ronncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #22
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I am not talking about squeezing every Ah into the cells every time. Im just talking about keeping all cells close to equal in the long run. In a perfect world, all the cells would hit HVC at the exact same time (thats never really gonna happen). Its not needed, nor desired for any of the cells to ever hit HVC. My cells are 3.60v HVC, i would prefer none of them ever went over 3.55v where my balancers start to shunt (thats also not gonna happen). I (and the cells) would be content if charging stopped at 3.50v, squeezing the very last Ah into every cell every time is not beneficial to the life of the cells.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #23
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The absolute maximum charge for the Leaf cells is somewhere north of 4.2V. I chose the 4.1V cutoff so I never get close to that number. After the charge terminates and the cells sit awhile, they hover in the 3.95-4.0V range. I'm planning to milk these cells until the next millineum
Old 02-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #24
ronncat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Forgot to mention…

If I did increase the charger cutoff voltage, then ideally the cells would ALL charge to somewhere near 4.1V. That is about as close to top balance as I can get.

However, I just plugged in the charger to check the bms. The LED's on all the cells indicated EVERY cell is actively shunting!!! I'm pretty happy with that. According to what I've read, the balance of a battery pack should improve with subsequent charges as the bms is bleeding off the more highly charged cells and letting the other ones catch up.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:57 PM   #25
kuntryboy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

This is an amazing build. What an accomplishment! Congrats!
kuntryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:32 PM   #26
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The BMS should keep the cells top balanced if the charger slows down the charge enough near the end.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:52 AM   #27
KosmoSVT
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Tight as Hell. I can't say any more
KosmoSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO