lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
NewHillBilly
Not Yet Wild

Default 1983 Gas EzGo Marathon newbie

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and I just got a 1983 gas Marathon. I just rebuilt the top end of the motor because I had 30psi compression and it wouldn't start. The piston was cracked and scored badly. I put it all back together yesterday and it's running.
I'm enjoying reading all your posts and threads and learning but I am new to carts so I have some stupid questions.

When I got it running yesterday the motor was smoking a little and I was worried that it was too hot. It didn't feel too hot, so I'm hoping it was grease and degreaser and whatnot burning off from rebuilding it.

When I put the exhaust back together the headline that goes into the muffler can slide in and out of the muffler. I'm guessing this isn't normal. It's also quite loud.

The cart was kind of disappointingly slow. I checked the brakes to see if the were binding up, and I'm pretty sure the brake cables need replaced. I had to beat the one drum off viciously. I disconnected the brake cables but the shoes are still in so they may still be binding some.

I've read quite a few threads on clutches and belts on here and I'm starting to understand a little, but for starters, what do I look for or at to see if my clutches are in good working order?

I saw one guy posted about a different carb and muffler increasing 2hp. I'd like to start with doing things like that and really learn this cart thing:-)

I don't see an oil injector anywhere...there is two cycle in the tank. It's what was in there when I got it.

Headlights would be nice:-)

By the way, I'm in Columbia Station, OH if there's anyone close.

Can't wait to read some replies.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NewHillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #2
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: 1983 Gas EzGo Marathon newbie

83 was the year the muffler laid on its side behind the engine wasn't it?

If so, it has a completely different engine cradle than any of the other 2 strokes and the 88 muffler and carb won't bolt up.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The oil injector pump is mounted to the front of your flywheel. There should be an oil line running from the tank to the pump, and then from the pump to the intake just after your carburetor.

If those oil lines are missing, STOP RUNNING IT. You need to mix the oil with the gas at 1 ounce of oil per gallon of gas. Hopefully it's not already too late.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
NewHillBilly
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it has the horizontal muffler.
Cart Around...I will go out and check those lines in a few minutes.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
NewHillBilly
Not Yet Wild

Cart Around...I don't have an oil injector. Apparently it was an option in '83

Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
NewHillBilly
Not Yet Wild

93YellowClubCar, do you think I can put the carb you like on this one?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

You most likely can do the BV24 carb, but first I'd get it sorted out on stock components. The bigger carb without the matching exhaust makes them run rich at anything but full throttle, so I have been told. I'd imagine that a less restrictive intake might help lean things out though.

First things first, however: the head pipe being able to move in and out of the muffler does not sound like a good thing, probably where the loudness is coming from. Can you get pictures? I've never actually seen the 83 setup, just heard and read about it, I suspect the same for lots of other folks.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You have an oil tank, but no oil pump. That means somebody removed it. That's the most likely reason that you had a cracked and destroyed piston.

Do not run it without premixing your oil, and gas.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:47 PM   #9
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
You have an oil tank, but no oil pump. That means somebody removed it. That's the most likely reason that you had a cracked and destroyed piston.

Do not run it without premixing your oil, and gas.
I think he meant the fuel in the tank was already premixed. He never mentioned an oil reservoir.

Hillbilly, you might want to drain what is currently in the tank and premix yourself some 40:1. This is what the manuals call for after a rebuild. After that first tank to help break in the new top end, mix at 1 oz. per gallon (128:1) or 1.5 oz per gallon (85:1) if you or the PO removed the governor and plan to run higher RPMs a lot.

Here's what your clutches should do, minus the rear end one having a shaking noisy sheave.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

When he said 2 cycle in the tank, I took that as the oil tank.

Now that you pointed it out, I can also see that as meaning in the gas tank.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO