lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
treeguy27
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 Marathon 3pg power questions

I'm pretty new here but have been reading the forums for a while. I've learned a lot from you guys and was hoping someone could help me with some information. I recently bought a 91 Marathon that is in really good shape. Overall the cart seems well taken care of, and seems to be completely stock, with the exception of the oil injection being eliminated.

My question is whether or not my cart is making the power that it should? It starts well and seems to run pretty good. On flat ground it does fine. Long inclines it has trouble with. It will climb them, but seems to lose speed as it goes. I understand it's only a 244cc 2 stroke. I'm not expecting amazing performance, but am trying to determine if I have an issue or not. On take-off it wont spin the tires on gravel. I have adjusted the governor some and am currently getting 15 mph out of it on stock tires and rims. It seems to run slightly better in reverse. Maybe 10-15 percent better. It definitely seems to launch better in reverse.

What I have done and checked:

120# compression cold both F/R
110# compression hot both F/R
New 1" shorter belt.
Cleaned carb.
Replaced fuel lines
cleaned fuel pump, appears to be working fine.
sprayed crank seals, no noticeable difference
BBQ'd the muffler
spark plug is dry and tan
clutches appear to work properly
brakes are free

I pulled the reed cage nothing is stuck in there. I can see some daylight around the petals on the top side of the cage. Not a lot, but there is some deterioration where the petals should seal. I don't know how much difference this could make. I've read about the spring in the driven clutch getting weak or needing shimmed. Could this be a possibility? Can anyone give me more details about that?

The cart may be running just as it should, I really don't know. I honestly expected a little more out of it though. My plan is to use it our lake property to go back and forth to the lake. There is a long uphill grade back from the water, I'm a little concerned about how it will handle it. I had planned on putting a small lift and 22" tires on it. I'm not sure how it will handle that. I don't have any carting experience, so don't have anything to compare it to. I'm used to ATV's. If anyone could give me any ideas I would really appreciate it.
treeguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 Marathon 3pg power questions

If its running right, its a pretty strong motor. My initial thoughts are toward the clutches not working properly. If the driven is not closing back up when on the incline, the ratio won't be right. I remember going to the shorter belt on my 89 and it would dang near flip over from pulling so hard up a hill. If you could remove the seat and sit on a board while going up the hill you should be able to observe the clutches to ensure they are working right.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
treeguy27
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I drove it and watched. Both clutches appear to be doing what they should, but I'm not sure if they are doing them exactly when they should. I think maybe the driven is not closing up as quick as it should. I can squeeze the belt together by hand and drive it pretty deep into the driven clutch. It doesn't return to the outside of the clutch when I release the pressure on the belt without some assistance. Is this normal?
Old 05-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
treeguy27
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I went ahead and pulled the driven clutch. The spring seemed weak to me, but what do I know? I was able to push down on the clutch enough by hand to remove the snap ring. The ramp buttons don't seem worn very much, but I will go ahead and replace them while I have it apart.

Now I need a little help in figuring out which replacement spring I need. I'm finding several different ones when looking on line. All of them look a little different. I would like to put a stiffer than stock one in there if possible. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea since I already have the one inch shorter belt? Thoughts?

My spring is flat on both ends. Some of the replacement ones I find have the ends turned out 90 degrees in a little tab. I believe these are for the 4 stroke, but I have seen the page linked on here that shows how to drill a hole in the cover to make this spring work. Does that work well with the reverse on a 2 stroke?

http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-GO-4-Cycle-Driven-Clutch-Spring/dp/B007R0J8VS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430837690&sr=8-4&keywords=ezgo+driven+clutch+spring http://www.amazon.com/E-Z-GO-4-Cycle-Driven-Clutch-Spring/dp/B007R0J8VS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1430837690&sr=8-4&keywords=ezgo+driven+clutch+spring

I have found some that don't have the tab on the end, but they are not flat either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Z-Go-Golf-...8be4f1&vxp=mtr

I really haven't found a replacement that looks exactly like mine. I'm sure I could find one at an EZGO dealer. Anyone have any thoughts or help tey can provide? I'd like to get this thing back together as soon as possible. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

The second one looks like the one you need
Old 05-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
treeguy27
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help SCcowboy. I found a stiffer spring that looks just like mine at GolfcartKing. It's ordered and on it's way. Hopefully that will take care of my issue.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #7
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Let us know how it goes and PICS!!! lol
Old 05-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #8
amesmotorsports
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

is there a thread that tells you how to rebuild the driver clutch?
amesmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

This isn't for that particular clutch but it is similar in how to pull it apart.
http://krisdillon.com/buggy/
Old 05-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
amesmotorsports
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

can the driven clutch be rebuilt
amesmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO