lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
ls1chris
Getting Wild

Default 2013 kawasaki backfire

guys, when im running around town , machine is fairly hot if i come to a stop and then accelerate again i will have one hell of a backfire!! i have been reading about adjusting the valves but i think i have hydrolic self adjusting lifters. im going to back off the throttle cable abit to see if this helps, but am thinking i might have a weak exhaust valve spring :(
any suggestions as what to check first?
Chris.
ls1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2013 kawasaki backfire

If you have tweaked the governor it may not be letting the throttle plate close all the way. You take your foot off the pedal and the ignition loses spark but fuel still gets in. When you hit the pedal again spark and too much fuel which goes boom.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
ls1chris
Getting Wild

damm i cant find the sweet spot between a decent top end with the governor tweaked and decent top end :( i guess its time to mod the carb plate at the attachment point.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Before you do that.. Take the throttle cable out of the bracket, loosen the 10mm nut on the gov bracket and get it where when the pedal is pushed it will start and idle. Then loosen the nut/bolt holding the governor to the shaft and make sure it is spun all the way against its backstop. Mine wasn't. Then hold the throttle against idle, the gov against its stop and tighten the 10mm nut. Now hook your cable back up and tweak. Mine with 21 inch tires runs 26 at 4k rpm
Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 AM   #5
ls1chris
Getting Wild

KG,
i completely understand what you are saying! mine will not hit the backstop, 1/2 away from it. i thought maybe the governor shaft was keyed to the governor bracket.
ur cart looks really cool, very military industrial!
what flares did you buy for it?
i just did the jakes front disk kit, super easy install, only changes i did was the measurements for the hole saw should be 1"X1" not 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 and they dont supply enough hose for the reservoir.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Governor shaft is keyed but it was sloppy. I loosened the bolt/nut and spun it until it hit the stop on the key then tightened it. That alone got me from 21 to 26 mph and it will crawl if I want it to.

Thanks on the cart. Plain ole MPT 1200 lifted with 23 inch Kenda's, stock flairs, diamond wheels and a stock 4 inch lift. Camo is a real tree wrap done by a local company in Augusta. This one has the Robbins motor. My RXV has the Kawasaki.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
ls1chris
Getting Wild

the governor bracket was too far down on the governor shaft binding everything up.
everything works as it should now, no more backfires but i did lose a few mph top end.
the governor kicks in and out now when at top speed.
i think i am still missing something, maybe the throttle to governor spring is weak and needs changing.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
Kerrville78028
Gone Wild

I'm topping out at 28mph. I can go a bit more on the governor adjustment but I'm happy with it for now. I usually find myself driving around 20mph on the paved roads.
Kerrville78028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO