lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
JoeMamasCCDS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2003 Electric CC DS Motor not Spinning

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2003 Electric CC DS with the IQ controller. I knew when I purchased it that the guide ring was bad (from reading on this forum).

I disassembled the motor, replaced the guide ring, and replaced the commutator bearing as well. I had to replace the bearing because I damaged the old one. I had purchased the high speed magnet, but it turns out the previous owner had replaced the original motor with a 1998-2001 Regen motor that will not accept the magnet.

I reassembled everything and attempted to use the cart. However, when I press the accelerator pedal, the motor simply makes exactly one revolution counter clockwise (opposite of what would be forward) and then essentially stops and does nothing until a press the pedal again. This happens no matter if the cart is set to forward or reverse....one singular rotation of the axle counter clockwise.

Any ideas? I have a feeling I have buggered the motor or speed sensor.
JoeMamasCCDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 Electric CC DS Motor not Spinning

Did you flip the Tow/Run switch to the TOW position and unhook the main positive and negative battery connections before you removed the wires from the motor? The symptoms you describe are classic symptoms of a damaged controller that was taken out by a short across two motor terminals, usually by a wrench or a dropped nut or bolt.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #3
JoeMamasCCDS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Did you flip the Tow/Run switch to the TOW position and unhook the main positive and negative battery connections before you removed the wires from the motor? The symptoms you describe are classic symptoms of a damaged controller that was taken out by a short across two motor terminals, usually by a wrench or a dropped nut or bolt.
I did flip the tow switch. When I hook up the multimeter to the green and white wires (VDC 200 setting) I get 48 volts coming out. However, I DID NOT unhook the positive and negatives).

At one point, the blue wire did hit something and spark (not sure what or what the blue wire is for). Regardless, I am still showing 48 volts coming out of the controller. (or am I testing it incorrectly)?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

It is a seperately excited motor. The field wires must also be powered up from the controller. This is where the controller has failed. There's really no need to test any further. This is very common.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
JoeMamasCCDS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
It is a seperately excited motor. The field wires must also be powered up from the controller. This is where the controller has failed. There's really no need to test any further. This is very common.
I really appreciate the help TD. Just want to be absolutely sure before I spend the money on a new controller. Is there any chance it could be the motor itself? I did have it completely apart and the armature pulled out.

Before originally pulling the motor, the cart seemed unusually slow which I attributed to the guide ring being bad. Also, on occasion, I could push the accelerator pedal and nothing would happen.....is that also related to the controller?

Is there another test I can perform to settle my OCD mind? It is truly not that I don't have faith in you because from reading your other interactions. I truly do. I literally just need some type of closure in my own mind, lol.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You can eliminate the motor as a possibility by removing the wires from it and checking for continuity between A1 and A2. And again from F1 to F2. You should have continuity in both locations but no continuity from any post to the frame of the motor. That would indicate a short. By the way, im the one who sold you the magnet.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
JoeMamasCCDS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
You can eliminate the motor as a possibility by removing the wires from it and checking for continuity between A1 and A2. And again from F1 to F2. You should have continuity in both locations but no continuity from any post to the frame of the motor. That would indicate a short. By the way, im the one who sold you the magnet.
Ah nice! You were great to work with on that. I really appreciate your understanding of the situation.

I did perform a continuity test between A1 and A2 and F1 and F2 today....0.3 from A1 to A2 and 1.6 between F1 and F2. However, I did not check continuity between the post and the frame of the motor. I will do that tomorrow.

Is it worth buying an upgraded controller that promotes additional speed and torque with the OEM motor?

Thank you again for your help!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

You will definitely gain torque. Depending on what speed setting you're on right now will be the determining factor as far as your speed increase. If you're on setting 3 running 14.8mph, you will be able to exceed that for sure.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:56 PM   #9
JoeMamasCCDS
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
You will definitely gain torque. Depending on what speed setting you're on right now will be the determining factor as far as your speed increase. If you're on setting 3 running 14.8mph, you will be able to exceed that for sure.
Hey TD,

Just wanted to say thank you again for your help on this. Installed the new controller this weekend and I am up and running.

Now if I can only figure out why it feels like I have a flat tire when I drive (but I don't)......
Old 07-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I chased a flat spot (belt separation?) in one of my tires for about a year - swapping front to back etc. looking for the offending tire. Because stock tires are cheap, I finally just got exasperated and replaced them all. Problem solved. Never did figure out which was the bad one - they all went to the dump.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car