lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
dhanks89
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Exclamation 88 2 cycle marathon NO FUEL ISSUE

So the story behind this cart is it has sat for 3-4 years, I think the previous owner mixed the oil and gas too rich...he said he put a new carb on it when he parked it, the old carb was in the bed of the cart (it moved freely so I swapped them still nothing) I took the "new" cab off and it was caked on the inside with crystalized gas and pasty oil...I cleaned it up the best I could but still left it off. Anyways on to the fuel pump, I have taken it apart 3 times, cleaned it and even put carb cleaner on the inlet side and it spits out towards the carb. With the air filter and hose removed and spraying carb cleaner in the carb the motor will fire and run for a second. I have also replaced all the fuel lines, from the top of the tank to the new fuel filter to the carb. I am curious if the line in the tank is not pulling the gas to the pump...maybe I should replace that??? Cart came lifted, with beefer tires to go with, really wouldn't mind some input to get her running before my baby is born and before deer season starts....thanks
dhanks89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 2 cycle marathon NO FUEL ISSUE

I would start thinking about crankshaft seals.

You should also blow air through the line into the tank to see if it is clogged.

Let's also think about this. Why would somebody put a new carburetor on a cart, and then park it? Because he couldn't get it to run, ran out of ideas, and gave up. That's why.

We now have to wonder what his original issue was. It could be a clogged exhaust, crankshaft seals, worn rings, or he could have even put the piston in backwards.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Or it could be as simple as the pump isn't primed. Remove the line to the carburetor and point it into a collection jar. Now wrap some rags around the fuel filler to make a seal. Blow until you see a steady jet of fuel. To test the crankshaft seals crank the engine (with the drive belt removed) and see if you get big healthy jets of fuel from the pipe, a dribble or a trickle will not do. If you do, reconnect the line to the carburetor and see if it starts. If it still fails then at least you have ruled out the fuel delivery system.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #4
dhanks89
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Exclamation Re: 88 2 cycle marathon NO FUEL ISSUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

You should also blow air through the line into the tank to see if it is clogged.

Let's also think about this. Why would somebody put a new carburetor on a cart, and then park it? Because he couldn't get it to run, ran out of ideas, and gave up. That's why.

We now have to wonder what his original issue was. It could be a clogged exhaust, crankshaft seals, worn rings, or he could have even put the piston in backwards.
It'll run with carb cleaner, and turn over good, just can't get it to draw fuel from the tank... Are you able to explain how to prime the pump a little more clear? Do I need to pump air into the fuel tank..
Old 09-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
dhanks89
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

It runs with carb cleaner...I just can't seem to draw fuel from the tank...I blew air into the tank from the fuel lines, so I know it's not clogged...I haven't pulled to see if it's cracked before the fuel level
Old 09-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Basically you need to pressurize the tank to fill the line and the pump with fuel. If you have an air line so much the better but once you have fuel coming out of the line the pump is primed.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #7
dhanks89
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Basically you need to pressurize the tank to fill the line and the pump with fuel. If you have an air line so much the better but once you have fuel coming out of the line the pump is primed.

Dave
OK thanks for that Dave, Ill let you know how it works.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:48 PM   #8
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

It is possible that you have a torn diaphragm in the fuel pump. Ordinarily that would show up as fuel in the crankcase though. As Dave said, simply pulling the fuel line off the carb and hitting the pedal will verify if you have good flow to the carb and rule out fuel delivery issues.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 cycle, ezgo, fuel issues, gas, marathon
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO