lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #1
Buclem
Not Yet Wild

Default Dont understand 98 TXT Throttle set up

I have researched very extensively but cant figure out how the throttle works.

Question: Does the carb butterfly determine rpm? What confuses me....when I press the go pedal and the micro switch engages, motor starts at what seems a high RPM to me. However the butterfly on the carb has not even opened the slightest bit. Now on a carbureted car the butterfly in the carb controls the rpm...Golf carts don't seem to work this way.

My problem -No throttle response-
As soon as the micro switch clicks, motor starts and the drive clutch engages to the full speed position without the butterfly on the carb opening..

This causes the cart to have no low speed throttle control. If you try to go slow as soon as the micro switch is engaged the cart jerks wanting to accelerate.

Question on drive clutch: I have removed the belt and the drive cutch is fairly easy to push in by hand. I can tell its spring loaded but again its not very hard to push all the way in with 2 hands. With the belt off the drive clutch will slap shut hard at start up. Is this normal?
I would think the drive clutch should close slowly depending on the rpm of the engine..

Any help very much appreciated. This is a nice cart....but no fun to drive.
Buclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2015, 10:00 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Dont understand 98 TXT Throttle set up

Just guessing but it sounds like the cables are out of adjustment. Both throttle and governor. Other than that, could someone have drilled out the main jet or is the float sticking in the bowl? Yes, the butterfly does control it so to speak.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Buclem
Not Yet Wild

Solved....Where the clip connects to the Butterfly valve stem, it was broken causing it to have next to no effect on opening or closing the valve!

Had me very stumped......I thought the clutching system was at fault. I can tear down and rebuild a 350 small block bottom to top but these golf carts are on a another level lol.

Thanks for the response.
Buclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Good deal.... get yourself the service guide from the tech section at the top of the gas main board. It will answer almost anything you need. BTW these are way simpler than a 350.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO