lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
JAMO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 89 ezgo starter gen question

When I press on the gas pedal I hear, I believe , the starter gen kick in however it takes a good 1- 1 1/2 minutes before the cart will engage and drive. Once moving its fine. I'm a cart novice so I was wondering if this is normal. Or do I need to change out the brushes in the Starter Gen? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
JAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 ezgo starter gen question

Start with a known good battery. Move to the solenoid and check that it is not sticking. Short across the big posts and see if it kicks the starter right in, if not then move to the starter. Removing the starter on an 89 can be a bear since the long pivot bolt seems to freeze up. It will come out and once you get the starter out you'll need to pull the rubber stoppers out to inspect the brushes. You can get to three of them but one will really need to have the starter out to access. If the brushes are all down inside the "sleeve" that they slide in, then they need to be replaced. Another quick check is when it fails to kick in, rotate the clutch a little by hand then hit the pedal again. If it then starts, the brushes are bad. Hope that makes sense.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
JAMO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Battery is brand new. Solenoid seems to be good as well. I'll rotate the clutch like you said and see what happens. Thanks sccowboy appreciate the info.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
rusty shackel
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

replace the brushes, that will fix it

rusty
rusty shackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #5
JAMO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Rusty that was my next option. Still have a carb issue too. Any thoughts?

My old carb is leaking very bad, overflow out of the bowl. The bowl has been tightened but not too tight, re-seated, checked the float and adjusted. Myself and a buddy cant figure it out. Seems like the carb is receiving too much gas. Just installed a new carb which is also leaking bad. Also noticed a white milky substance coming from the new bowl. Gas is fresh. Cant figure it out.

Questions: Anyone have issues with excessive leaking carbs? What are we missing to figure out the leak? Does the new carb have some sort of rust protective coating which would cause the milky looking substance? Any input would be appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO