lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #1
netsecguy
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgrading but slowly

I have a 2003 EZGO TXT PDS that I just upgraded the controller (DCX400) and solenoid. Still at 36v and want to take the next step. Torque deficiency is my enemy - we have lots of hills here in our neighborhood and I can practically walk faster than the cart on the last hill.

There are lots of recommendations, but nothing I found that recommends order.

Should I upgrade, as is to 42v (48v makes for a tight fit on the batteries) first to get more torque out of the stock motor? Or should I go ahead and get a MOT-V2 or EY7-4001? This would set me up for later should I upgrade to 48v at some point. Or would l still be disappointed with not enough torque?

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance!
netsecguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrading but slowly

obviously you are needing more torque, as your cart slows WAY DOWN on hills....well here's the bad news.....if you stay at 36v, but get a motor that will get you more torque, you will lose speed. The 2 go hand in hand. but if you keep the stock motor, and upgrade to 48v.....you will increase both torque AND speed by roughly 33%. as for the batteries being a tight fit.....if you go with 6-8v's they fit in the stock battery tray.

if it were me.....I would first go with the upgrade to 48v.....then down the road you need even more torque....then go with the motor as well.

oh and btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wives’, husbands, girlfriend’s and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I ran a stock PDS motor (DE2-4007) with a DCX400 at 36V and my cart had a top speed of about 24 MPH on level ground and only slowed to the high teens on steep hills, so your cart slowing to walking speed suggests something is holding it back.

Going from a stock PDS controller (300A) to a DCX400 controller (400A) should have increased the low end torque by 33%, so before the DCX400 was installed, was the cart able to reach the top of the hills that now slow the cart to walking speeds?

What is your tire height? Tires taller than stock (18") reduce torque.

Have you upgraded the high current cables and solenoid?

What is your cart's top speed on level ground?

What Field Map is loaded in the DCX400 controller? (Should be Map#4 for a stock PDS motor)

In a nutshell, I'd get the cart operating at its maximum performance at 36V with the stock motor first, then up the battery pack voltage and then go to a more robust motor if needed.

--------------
I cannot find either of the motors you listed. There is an Admiral MOT-B2 and V is adjacent to B on a QWERTY keyboard, so MOT-V2 could be a typo, but I draw a complete blank on EV7-4001 by any manufacturer.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Johnnie.....I think you had a typo as well.....he had EY7-4001 which is an AMD model number. but what it shows in the listing is a min. of 500a controller.

Features include: SepEx Motor with Regen. 12-hp@1300 rpm @ 36 volts. Double Brush set (8 brushes total). High torque motor. Requires upgraded controller like the DCX500. For maximum performance, safety, and durability, a minimum of 4 gauge cables throughout the cart & heavy duty solenoid are required. 19 Tooth Female Spline. Cross Reference Numbers: AMD XP2140, Nivel Part # 3268, Similar performance to the D1162, GE D1162, and GE 5BC49JB1162.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Johnnie.....I think you had a typo as well.....he had EY7-4001 which is an AMD model number. but what it shows in the listing is a min. of 500a controller.

Features include: SepEx Motor with Regen. 12-hp@1300 rpm @ 36 volts. Double Brush set (8 brushes total). High torque motor. Requires upgraded controller like the DCX500. For maximum performance, safety, and durability, a minimum of 4 gauge cables throughout the cart & heavy duty solenoid are required. 19 Tooth Female Spline. Cross Reference Numbers: AMD XP2140, Nivel Part # 3268, Similar performance to the D1162, GE D1162, and GE 5BC49JB1162.
Nope - I misread it. Several times.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I suspect the batteries unless tires are big and 4 passengers onboard.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
netsecguy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the input. I have stock (small) tires on the golf cart. The original controller also caused the golf cart to slow down at the top of the hill. Perhaps better with the new DCX400 on the hill but I NEED MORE!!! :)

Speed is very good with the new controller - almost too much - IMHO.

I did replace the solenoid and already have 4GA wires. The motor is a DE2-4007. I have not measured speed of the cart, but it is definitely faster than with the stock controller. I also turned off "turbo". I do believe it is mapped to 4.

EVDrives recommended, should I choose to upgrade it, the EY7-4001 motor. I believe I can do that without changing all the batteries/controller/wiring/solenoid/battery meter. Just not sure on the return at 36v. Only benefit is incremental improvement and then prep for 48v later on.

I know 48v would be the best route, but I either cram two more 6v (BTW - the 6v batteries are brand new - and where do you put two more 6v total of eight) or sell the 6v and buy six 8v. Expensive option too, but probably better all around.

More thoughts are appreciated.
netsecguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=netsecguy;1220300I know 48v would be the best route, but I either cram two more 6v (BTW - the 6v batteries are brand new - and where do you put two more 6v total of eight) or sell the 6v and buy six 8v. Expensive option too, but probably better all around.

More thoughts are appreciated.[/QUOTE]

piece of cake.....you put them in the bag well......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO