lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
cropduster7
Not Yet Wild

Default Governor shaft frozen on '99 workhorse

I bought a '99 workhorse that sat in the weather for who knows how long. Among my other issues, I have freed up all the throttle linkages with WD40 but the governor shaft where it goes into the rear diff may as well be welded in there. I can't get that bracket on top of the shaft to move at all. Has anybody run into this before and got an easy fix?? I REALLY don't want to have to take this differential apart to get this thing to move. I can't even find any kind of manual showing what the innards of that diff look like!
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Mick
cropduster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Governor shaft frozen on '99 workhorse

this is sort of a "hope" type fix, but you can mix trans fluid and acetone 50/50 That has been know has a great penetrating oil. Then before you apply it, try heating the shaft up, get it nice and hot, maybe 400 degrees or so, and spray the crap out of it with the penetrating oil and hope for the best!
tom
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
cropduster7
Not Yet Wild

Geez that sounds like a hail mary pass. Worst case, if I have to open it up does anyone have a manual for it or pictures of the inside? I would like to see what the problem might be before I go in. It's a ME29.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

ME29 Manual
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
cropduster7
Not Yet Wild

THAT'S PERFECT. Thanks 1989Marathon, you might not be able to help everyone like your title says but you helped me and lord knows how many others that will be searching for this.
After seeing how long the bore is for the shaft it looks like that is where my issue is. I'm hoping the governor sleeve isn't stuck. My plan of attack is to try to get some penetrant past the shaft seal before I take the diff out and split the case. I'm going to use a hypo needle and some heat but I'll probably have to pry out the shaft seal as a last resort. What have I got to lose?
Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #6
TomStark
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropduster7 View Post
Geez that sounds like a hail mary pass. Worst case, if I have to open it up does anyone have a manual for it or pictures of the inside? I would like to see what the problem might be before I go in. It's a ME29.
When ever parts are rusted/seized together, it is a hail mary pass to think you can get by without machining/replacing parts. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Just cross your fingers and hope for the best. I good wack with a hammer to jar things loose a bit does not hurt either.
Tom
TomStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
cropduster7
Not Yet Wild

GOT IT! Used Kroil (good stuff) and then carefully heating up the area with a propane torch it finally broke free. I might still have to split the friggin case though because I just found the shifter bracket is flopping around. It looks like the shifter shaft is worn out. I'm going to get some nylon washers behind the bracket and try to snug the bracket nut down just enough to get it to work. I've still got a lot of work to do before I get this cart running before my deadline (got a trip in March) so I don't have time to do it right. Now that I have the manual, THANKS AGAIN!, I plan on doing it right next winter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO