lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Blachermeier
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Cranks but hard to start

I recently picked up a Yamaha G16 that would start and run great but when it got hot it would shut off "lost spark". After some research I replaced the TCI, spark plug, and stop switch thinking it was most likely the TCI which was original. After those repairs it NO LONGER stops when hot "issue fixed" but now is VERY hard to get started which it wasn't before. The engine cranks fine but I have to "feather" the pedal and pull/push choke to get it to actually start. Once its started it runs GREAT..... Until I stop and let the motor shut off. Then its hard to start again. It seems to have good compression, spark, and fuel. I have adjusted the carburetor several times including starting at 2 turns out. The carb adjustments seemed to help a little but it never solved the problem... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Blachermeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Cranks but hard to start

Check the gap on the TCI. It doesn't need to be much. Like the thickness of a business card or match book, I think.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Blachermeier
Not Yet Wild

I was told on the G 16 that it is not adjustable.? When I installed it it appeared not to be adjustable so I didn't second-guess that. Can anyone confirm whether that's true or not
Old 10-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

I was assuming that it is adjustable. Maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...placement.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...l-setting.html
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Did you use a OEM or aftermarket TCI? Yes they need the gap adjusted. I use a match book cover.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #6
Blachermeier
Not Yet Wild

I used an aftermarket one and did not set adjustment since it looked like it was just 2 bolt holes that held it on. No slots. Is aftermarket an issue or am I able to test? It's odd how it runs good once it starts.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:53 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Aftermarket TCI is a bad gamble, higher rate of fail than many other aftermarket parts. I can also confirm that the gap should have been set (just the slop in the bolt holes). As has been said by others, thick paper is as good a spacer as any other I have found.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
Ron Benedict
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I installed an after market one recently and had to take a round file to the holes and elongate them so that I could get a decent air gap. Before filing the holes the gap was at least 1/4 inch. I filed for a couple of hours and got it down to 10 to 12 thousands.
Ron Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Benedict View Post
I installed an after market one recently and had to take a round file to the holes and elongate them so that I could get a decent air gap. Before filing the holes the gap was at least 1/4 inch. I filed for a couple of hours and got it down to 10 to 12 thousands.
Wow, that Sucks! Another reason to go with OEM.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha