lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Leaf springs

I an going to put on new leaf springs on my TXT. I have a non lifted 98 TXT DCS cart.

When putting on new leaf springs... I have read it is advisable to put on new... Rubber bushings.

Have a couple of questions...

1) how many rubber bushings should be replaced on one side? There are 4 bushings between the shackles and 2 more on the front part of the leaf spring...total of 6 per side.... Is that correct?

2) should the spacers be replaced also?

3) are there any other parts I should order...just in case something doesn't go right. U bolts, shackles, or anything else I am forgetting? Don't want to get part way through and have to go find something.

My main question is...since I am going to be replacing the rear leaf springs...what all is best done during the process. I would rather do everything at one time.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #2
mike484
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Leaf springs

I just replaced mine, got the springs, u-bolts, and bushing kit on Amazon.

I didn't need the u-bolts, mine were long enough.

The bushing kit had 8 bushings and 4 spacers, that was enough bushings for me, I only used 2 spacers, the front bolts were shoulder bolts and didn't require spacers.

It was very easy for me, make sure you do only one side at a time. Made a huge difference, much better. This was my experience, yours may be different.
mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

1) how many rubber bushings should be replaced on one side? There are 4 bushings between the shackles and 2 more on the front part of the leaf spring...total of 6 per side.... Is that correct?

YES, 6 PER SIDE

2) should the spacers be replaced also?

If you buy a bushing kit, the spacers come with it, most do anyways, if you get one with the spacers, go ahead and replace them, whether you need to or not. Like Mike, I got mine off of Amazon, the kit I bought had 12 bushings and 6 spacers.

3) are there any other parts I should order...just in case something doesn't go right. U bolts, shackles, or anything else I am forgetting? Don't want to get part way through and have to go find something.

Inspect all the hardware (ubolts and all) and if they look good, then you should be good to go.

My main question is...since I am going to be replacing the rear leaf springs...what all is best done during the process. I would rather do everything at one time.

This should do it....the only other thing that comes to mind would be to inspect the entire rear end, maybe change the lube in the rear end, if you hadn't done it in a good while. and inspect the brake shoes for wear. you can look through the holes in the backing plate to see how much shoe you have left.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Only do one side at a time.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
mike484
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 2006 TXT, only had 4 bushings on each side, there is only one bolt hole on each end of the spring and the two u-bolts, no place else to put any bushings.

I have n idea where the other two are, I guess some carts may be set up differently.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
catmcaw
Gone Wild

I would install new shocks while I was at it.
catmcaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike484 View Post
I have a 2006 TXT, only had 4 bushings on each side, there is only one bolt hole on each end of the spring and the two u-bolts, no place else to put any bushings.

I have n idea where the other two are, I guess some carts may be set up differently.
Mike, I too have a 2006 TXT and on each spring there are two bushings at each end if the spring (4 each), PLUS there are two at the top of the shackle at the back of the spring(2 each) bringing the total to 6 bushings.

shackle.jpg
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
mike484
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did not remove the shackle. only the spring, guess I missed it.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike484 View Post
I did not remove the shackle. only the spring, guess I missed it.
When I rebuilt mine, the top shackles were the worst of mine.....I am going to guess they had NEVER been changed out EVER, LOL in fact, two if the spacers were wore completely through.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
lugster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mike484, what springs did you go with on amazon, were they heavy duty? Also, is it difficult to replace the shocks as well without removing the rear cowling?

Thanks!
lugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO