lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2016, 02:14 AM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: First Steps for MORE POWER

He went really fast down a hill, causing the rotor inside the motor to expand (blow up), locking up the rear axle. This fast trick to destroy parts happens fairly regularly. Learn from that mistake. Consider your flat ground top speed as your down hill top speed also. If you can't resist the temptation, at least you know what the risks are (possible grenaded motor, fried controller, and possible crash from loss of control from sudden locking rear wheels at high speed). One or more could result, roughly in the above order of risk of happening Fun.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2016, 02:42 AM   #12
hkmp5s
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

cgtec thanks for posting that. I didn't know that could happen.
hkmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

2 things claim the most motor failures. Going too fast and going too slow.
While excessive speed can spin the motor apart, extended operation in high load mode (creeping) can cause excessive heat build up which basically burns up the motor.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
Do you mind me asking what stupid thing you did to ruin the motor? :-)

As you prob know from the other thread, I'm trying to learn as much as I can quickly.
First and foremost, if you upgrade to an XCT controller in your PDS cart, you will have user programmable Motor RPM limiting, so you can prevent what I did from happening. Or at least it would have to be an act of intentional abuse rather than just the brain fart that plagued me.

I was running a stock PDS motor at 42V through a DCX controller, which doesn't use the speed sensor data from the motor and has no idea of what the motor RPM is.

My tires are only 17" tall, so I get a 6% increase in torque throughout the motor's RPM spectrum and could get a bit over 28 MPH on level ground, which was spinning the motor at about 6900 RPM, but I seldom went over 25 MPH (6135 RPM).

As Scotty mention, sepex motors get hot when ran at high RPM as well as getting hot when ran at low RPM like all series motors do. I had been running flat out on a hilly, curvy road for about two miles and decided to head back home after getting to the bottom of the far side of the tallest hill on the road, so the motor was mighty hot, above 200°F. I had a GPS with me and after climbing back to the top of that hill, the urge to find out how fast the cart would go downhill overpowered my common sense and I left my foot on the floor. About a half mile of fairly straight downhill pavement with a curve at the bottom.

Golf carts are not designed to go fast, so I was concentrating on steering carefully and watching the road rather than the GPS or motor temperature, but everything was going fine until I decided to slow down for the curve at the bottom of the hill and lifted my foot. When the regen braking kicked in, the cart started to slow and then the rear tires started to slide.

I managed to keep it in a fairly straight line, but there was almost a brown stripe on the seat in addition to the two black stripes on the pavement.

Fortunately, the arcing sounds and smoke coming from the controller stopped when I flipped the Run/Tow switch to Tow. Unfortunately, I was blocking one of the two lanes and I couldn't move the cart because the back wheels were locked. A guy in a pickup helped me drag it off the road, and I had to get a flatbed type wrecker haul it home.

IIRC, the max speed on the GPS was 33.4 MPH, so the motor was spinning about 8200 RPM when the regen braking kicked in. The motor was totally seized and I could not drive the armature out with a sledge hammer, but I believe the failure was caused by a combination of heat and RPM.

Attached are pictures of what a stock PDS motor looks like, What my motor looked like aft the armature became one with the field windings and what the replacement motor looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stock PDS Motor.jpg (38.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (1,011.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SepEx Motor.jpg (935.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #15
ndhill1976
Not Yet Wild

Ive been studying and checking stuff out and I'm not sure if I should get the 400 or 500 Alltrax controller. Eventually I would like to use my golf cart as a hunting buggy, to be used for riding steep trails and pulling a load at times.
Would I regret getting the 400 controller wishing that I would have forked over the extra ~$125 for the 500 controller? Or would I be happy and ignorant of the extra power I would be missing from the 500 controller?
I am buying battery cables, new controller/solenoid and one day adding 2 more batteries and replacing the motor.
EZGO PDS Regen 36v
ndhill1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #16
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhill1976 View Post
Ive been studying and checking stuff out and I'm not sure if I should get the 400 or 500 Alltrax controller. Eventually I would like to use my golf cart as a hunting buggy, to be used for riding steep trails and pulling a load at times.
Would I regret getting the 400 controller wishing that I would have forked over the extra ~$125 for the 500 controller? Or would I be happy and ignorant of the extra power I would be missing from the 500 controller?
I am buying battery cables, new controller/solenoid and one day adding 2 more batteries and replacing the motor.
EZGO PDS Regen 36v
No man has ever said I wish I had bought a smaller outboard motor.... The same applies to golf carts, in the quest for power I went with 500 amps and while generally very pleased sometimes I wish I had gone for 700 amps due to the massive hills where we live...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #17
ndhill1976
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
No man has ever said I wish I had bought a smaller outboard motor.... The same applies to golf carts, in the quest for power I went with 500 amps and while generally very pleased sometimes I wish I had gone for 700 amps due to the massive hills where we live...
That's what I was afraid of.

Do you live on Norris Lake? I'm near Maryville
ndhill1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO