lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
WIN.308
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default LED Light Consumption

On a 48V Series cart I'm wondering if I use a 200W LED light bar on a long trip, what can I expect in terms of decreased range? New T875 battery pack. I realize many variables would go into this calculation, I'm just looking for a ballpark %.
WIN.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: LED Light Consumption

I use a 300 something led bar and it's not much of a difference.
Best way is to try it out and report back with results.
It will probably help lots of people wondering the same thing
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A 200W LED fixture will draw about 16.7A at 12V, which would translate to about 4.2A at 48V if your voltage reducer is 100% efficient, which it isn't. At 80% efficiency it would be roughly 5.2A. or 5.2AH for each hour of run-time.

When properly broken in, your 48V battery pack (T-875 batteries) will have 170AH with 85AH available if you discharge no lower than 50% SoC and 5.2AH is 6.1% of 85AH, so your range will be reduced by a bit over 6%.

Of course, I might be wrong.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm using LED lighting in the DS I'm building. I took the stated wattage ratings and used them to calculate the drain like JohnnieB did in his post. I then used the amp scale on my Fluke 77 meter to measure the actual current draw. There was quite a bit of difference. In most cases the actual measurements were about half of the calculated current. The only thing I can figure is the light manufacturers over state the wattage to sell more. Has anyone else run into this?
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
I'm using LED lighting in the DS I'm building. I took the stated wattage ratings and used them to calculate the drain like JohnnieB did in his post. I then used the amp scale on my Fluke 77 meter to measure the actual current draw. There was quite a bit of difference. In most cases the actual measurements were about half of the calculated current. The only thing I can figure is the light manufacturers over state the wattage to sell more. Has anyone else run into this?
The manufacturer could be stating incandescent light output equivalent watts, which would account for the discrepancy. I think an led array consuming 200 actual watts would be seriously bright, but I may be wrong as I haven't messed around with them at all. (Thinking that 200 actual watts in LED's would be at least 4 times [and probably more !] the brightness of my 110 watt halogens). RAY

Last edited by bigstik40; 12-16-2016 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: corrected
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:32 AM   #6
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Seems like you could avoid all the reduced battery issues if you just install a dedicated 12 volt battery for the lights and so forth.

With the quick disconnects for recharging...it really is not much of a hassle to charge it separately.

I guess each to their own...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #7
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsmith521 View Post
Seems like you could avoid all the reduced battery issues if you just install a dedicated 12 volt battery for the lights and so forth.

With the quick disconnects for recharging...it really is not much of a hassle to charge it separately.

I guess each to their own...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yep I'm installing 8 new 6v batt. and don't to pull any extra off them so i have a old car batt that should work fine for lights and stuff, I hope I can squeeze it in the bagwell or under the seat.
my 36 light bar draws about 25 amps and lights up the whole road
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
skuhleman1524
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I have a 12" rigid and it is crazy bright. Only pulls 1.5 amps measured with a fluke meter. I have put it against larger amazon ones and is equally as bright.
skuhleman1524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Hook it up to 12V with your ammeter in series and measure the current.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

What he said.. That 200 watt bar is not going to pull 16 amps.. I put in 2 50 watt cree headlights and 2 1157 leds in the tails and all 4 pull 0.7 amps.. Much brighter as well
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO