lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Default Please talk me out of buying a 2014 txt

Please?

:-)

With the help of this great forum I've worked my way through searching for a cart. I originally had my sights set on a 2008 PDS for about $1600. It was sold however, and those available at the moment in the same range aren't in great shape.

I also found a 2014 txt in nice shape for about $2900. A 48v holds some interest since it sounds like I should convert a 36v PDS to 48v if I want to upgrade the controller. This would get me there immediately, but I'd have to hold off a bit on my other upgrades. I'd still do them though. It also feels a slight bit faster off the line than the 36v PDS (it's 8 years newer, which I'm sure helps).

The last bit of info is that I finally got to drive a 36v with the chip and it did accelerate pretty well and got to 19mph. I haven't driven the 2014 with it programmed yet. I'm hoping it will feel a bit quicker than he 2008 w the chip.

I know other older PDS carts will come around. My budget would take a hit with the 2014, but I always want to make the right investment. Resale value? Reliability?

So please talk me out of spending the money on the 2014 (or talk me into it)!

(it's tough. I've got nobody to bounce my thinking off of, so I appreciate your ear)

LB
LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2016, 12:08 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Please talk me out of buying a 2014 txt

The '14 will also have a top speed of 19mph in Stock form (freedom mode unlocked, stock wheels, no high speed gears). A controller upgrade on the' 14 will get you into the 23mph range & more torque/better acceleration. Slightly larger "street wheels" will pick up a couple mph, traded for slightly less torque.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The TXT48 with a 400a XCT control is the nicest cart I have on the ranch & I also have the 08 PDS 42v with 500a and D&D motor to compare it to ... why would I talk you out of it?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
03psd73
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

$2900 for a 14 model is a no brainier for me (I can't get anything close to that in my area). I have a 12 model that I give $2500 for with 1 yr old batteries. If you are thinking resale, in most people's minds newer must be better and willing to give more money for. But only you know your whole situation and how you want to get to the final goal ( pay little more now and slowly upgrade or pay less now and do a lot of upgrades). I just got my controller package from scottyb and can't wait to get it installed. Good luck on what ever you decide
03psd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
mutley
Not Yet Wild

I picked up a 14 txt a few months back for $2,750. Had been bought by a golf course just before they went out of business. Then had been sitting for 1 year while all the receivership stuff was worked out. Didn't look like it had ever been used, still knobbies on the tires and not one single blemish on it.
But, no I can't talk you out of that buy, it's a great cart for that price.
mutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
LBB
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the feedback everyone and helping me talk it through in my head. :-)

Although I'd love to spend $1500 or so for an older PDS, something does feel good about getting a newer cart at 48v.

My fear is that I'm spending $1400 more that at the end of the day will get me just about the same performance. Indications and feedback seems to point to slightly better performance (whether it's torque or acceleration). It's so hard to say since there seems to be outliers - I've seen mention of RXV's that do 23mpg+ with only being reprogrammed. I don't think it's the norm though. I have a bit of hope the TXT one programmed will outperform the average.

Your points about the build quality also is part of the consideration.
LBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The "new" TXT seems worth the extra coin to me.

You may find yourself relatively satisfied for some time with the TXT as-is (in freedom mode) before getting the itch to upgrade.

Based on your post it sounds like you looking for a well cared for corrosion free cart. However, even if you find an "older" clean cart don't underestimate the value of 10 year newer: wiring, electrical connectors/switches, suspension bushings, rubber seals, seat upholstery, tires, ETC. Also, plastic does get more brittle with age, heat, and UV exposure.

Comparatively this is not much different from buying a 15 year old used car with very low mileage then ending up with more maintenance issues than a much higher mileage 5 year old car...I see that all the time.
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
FF Titus
Gone Wild

2900 for a 2014 TXT? Sounds pretty good to me. Newer body style, newer dash, etc. That's a great price.
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO