lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
nickajack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default New FNR switch - Problems

Hello, I'm a newbie so be patient with me if you can. LOL. I bought a new FNR heavy duty switch for an Ezgo Electric 36 volt cart. This is the second time I've had to replace the switch, thus the reason for buying the heavy duty one this time. I labeled all the wires, and I even labeled the back of the old switch corresponding to the wires I removed when I removed the old switch. I installed the new switch and now when I put the knob in forward the cart only creeps_ but in reverse! When I put the cart in reverse it goes full speed reverse! I printed a copy of what I thought was the correct wiring diagram I found from one of the threads on this site and compared it to the wiring on my cart. There are discrepancies between the two. Therefore, I'm not sure what's going on now.
I don't know the year of my cart, because it's used. I probably could find the serial number and/or the model number in case anyone that could help me would need that information. I do know it's a TXT Shuttle 2+2. I also know it is a series wired cart. It has a controller on it and a solenoid right behind it, both on the passenger side under the seat.
Please, if anyone could help me figure this out I would greatly appreciate it!!
nickajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
nickajack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: New FNR switch - Problems

The motor has a manufacture date of 9/20/99. Appears to be the original.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Check your rod linkage between the shifter and the switch. Rod should be on top and when the shifter is in Forward and pointing to the driver's side the shifter arm should also.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #4
nickajack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here's a couple of photos of the rod linkage with the switch handle in forward position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6330.jpg (227.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6331.jpg (201.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

whats the one disconnected cable on bottom left of 2nd pic?
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
nickajack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
whats the one disconnected cable on bottom left of 2nd pic?
That's an orange control wire. It's been disconnected since I've had the cart.
I talked with a local golf cart mechanic at a nearby shop this afternoon and he told me I had to reconfigure the shift linkage. I tried that and it still does the same thing - goes in reverse but not forward. There's only two ways to fit the linkage on a square shaft, either at the shifter handle end or at the FnR switch shaft end. Either way, the cam in the switch can only go in 2 positions, no matter how you put the shifter linkage on it. So I'm confused at how that could cause this.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Don't talk to that guy anymore, LOL. Is it possible that the cam is not located correctly on the board. Check the board for 2 travel limit blocks on the side the cam is on, and make sure the metal "L-bracket" on the cam is located in between the blocks, that limits cam travel to 90° & keeps the cam located Correctly.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickajack View Post
Here's a couple of photos of the rod linkage with the switch handle in forward position.
well I just went out and looked at my.....its not the same.....on yours, both levers on each of the rod are pointed UP. on mine, the one attached to the handle is pointed down. certainly makes a difference.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
nickajack
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
well I just went out and looked at my.....its not the same.....on yours, both levers on each of the rod are pointed UP. on mine, the one attached to the handle is pointed down. certainly makes a difference.
I would be interested to know how the position of the levers on a shifter rod could make a difference in whether the cart will go forward or not. It seems to me that if the cam only turns 90 degrees in either direction, causing two buss bars to make contact with 2 of 4 copper terminal bolts, then whatever way you make that cam turn with the linkage the cart should go either forward or backward.
The switch came from the factory as a complete unit - mounting bracket, cam and board, micro switches, nuts and washers. I haven't changed anything on the workings of the switch and the stops are in the right place. It can't work but one way.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know You said there were labels and your were careful, but, if You accidentally put the cables in the wrong posts, You would have exactly the problem you are experiencing.

Take a picture of the FNR showing the posts and follow where the cables go.

There are many "equivalent" ways to wire the FNR, but You can also wire it wrong and typically remove the Stator coil from the circuit which would cause a total lack of torque and use very high current.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO