lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
randall Pallesen
Not Yet Wild

Default Replacement controller problems

I am working on 2015 Club Car Precedents. They were damaged in a flood. One of the carts we got worked with out repairs. I have used this cart as my test cart to swap parts in and out of.

So far I have found bad switches, and damaged controllers. The batteries are in good shape and are clean. I stripped the carts to the frame and cleaned and reassembled them. I knew my motor controllers are pretty much toast. Some were still working but I don't trust them long term and decided to replace them all. The motor and transmissions were inspected and not damaged.

Pretty much every cart has a bad motor controller so we purchased new ones from buggiesgonewild. The replacement Curtis controllers are 350A instead of the 250A Curtis units they came with. The technician I called looked up my existing controller part number and said these were replacements for them but were rated for higher amps. He also said that these would go faster than the 17mph governed controllers that were on the carts originally. I was excited to get the upgrade since we had to purchase new controllers anyway. You can tell they are better than the original units. Slightly taller and the heat sink assembly is thicker. They weigh more as well. The old controllers were white and these are grey. The new controllers are 1515S-5301 units and are made by Curtis. I don't have a programmer.

Well I have a problem I have proven by swapping the new controller into a working cart. The new motor controllers don't work quite right. When the throttle is pressed all the way the cart stops. It feels like you let off on the gas. It just dies. So when driving you have to be careful not to exceed about 75% throttle or the cart looses power and stops. Same in forward or reverse. This seems like a firmware programming issue with the controllers to my throttle assembles. I don't want to buy more parts.

Ideas?

Did I get the wrong part?
Do I need to purchase a programmer?

I want to go fast!
randall Pallesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Re: Replacement controller problems

I've been watching this thread. I figured one of the experts would have replied by now?
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Those Controllers are not going to work, the 2015 Precedent (PJ15 S/N) has an ERIC harness with no throttle resistors.

The 453Ω harness resistors required for the Excel controller are built in to the "white" Curtis 1515-5206 Controller.

You should return those controllers and get Alltrax controllers from one the the site sponsors (not BuggiesUnlimited) that will work with your harness.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #4
kms90
Not Yet Wild

is there anyway to incorporate the 453 ohm resistor into the harness so you can use the 5201 gray controller vs the 5206 white controller?
kms90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, like I answered in your other thread, just cut the 3 MCOR wires and solder a resistor inline with each one right before the 3-pin connector at the MCOR.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car