lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-29-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Troubleshooting 3-wire throttle on 96 DS Series Cart

Cart has been upgraded to Alltrax controller with green and yellow to the 2nd & 3rd small terminals, and purple wire to B-

I think this is multi-step pot, it is in battery well, not under mat and has several contacts inside it.

I am getting 7 green 1 red code

5.5 to zero Ohms between yellow and green as pedal is pressed.

Continuity on purple wire from last connector before throttle back to B-.

Have not tested from inside throttle box back to B-.

Press accelerator, Solenoid activates and power to controller.

As soon as I press throttle in forward, I get around 13.9 volts between the yellow wire and main battery negative. it moves some when throttle is pressed further but not much. In reverse, as soon as i press throttle it goes to about 6.9 volts, jumps up, the falls.

Ideas, comments, suggestions?
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-30-2018, 06:32 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Troubleshooting 3-wire throttle on 96 DS Series Cart

Assuming You have an AXE Controller, Swap the Green and Yellow wires, the diagram on the Alltrax website has those two wires swapped with their function (Yellow is the wiper on a Club Car):
https://alltraxinc.com/wp-content/up...6-wire-dia.pdf
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Assuming You have an AXE Controller, Swap the Green and Yellow wires, the diagram on the Alltrax website has those two wires swapped with their function (Yellow is the wiper on a Club Car):
https://alltraxinc.com/wp-content/up...6-wire-dia.pdf
Right now the wires are wired per the diagram in the link. Just to confirm, you are saying to switch them (in reference to the LED) from R-G-Y to R-Y-G?

Last edited by rockfordpi; 03-30-2018 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Correct R-Y-G , based on your description of the current throttle voltage readings, it appears the color names on the diagram are indeed wrong.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Correct R-Y-G , based on your description of the current throttle voltage readings, it appears the color names on the diagram are indeed wrong.
Ok, will swap and try. It would be nice if that were it.

I know at one point after I disconnected the wires, I looked up the connections in and put them back peer an Alltrax diagram so if diagram is wrong...

That said, should I check the voltage on the green wire and expect 0-6 volts?

Thank you so much.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I never used an AXE Controller, but in theory, one of those terminals is the "reference voltage" and the other one is the "input signal".

I think You should be able to remove both: green and yellow wires from the Controller and press the pedal until the controller is enabled (+48v on terminal #1).

Once the Controller powers up, measure the voltage on each of those terminals: #2 and #3.

Whichever terminal has a voltage is the "Reference voltage", plug the green wire there.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
I never used an AXE Controller, but in theory, one of those terminals is the "reference voltage" and the other one is the "input signal".

I think You should be able to remove both: green and yellow wires from the Controller and press the pedal until the controller is enabled (+48v on terminal #1).

Once the Controller powers up, measure the voltage on each of those terminals: #2 and #3.

Whichever terminal has a voltage is the "Reference voltage", plug the green wire there.
I think I already have 48 volts on terminal one, the red wire. The controller is giving me the LED codes. I may be misunderstanding what you are saying.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:15 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry if I confused You, I was describing a procedure to identify which Terminal on the AXE would go to Green and which Would go to Yellow.

Just try putting the wires in the order I described (R-Y-G) and see if it works.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Sorry if I confused You, I was describing a procedure to identify which Terminal on the AXE would go to Green and which Would go to Yellow.

Just try putting the wires in the order I described (R-Y-G) and see if it works.
I switch the order of the wires, still no luck. I check for reference voltage with throttle depressed Terminal Terminal 2 shows 13.9 volts so I moved the green wire back there in the yellow to three again but still have no go I'm just torn as to whether it is the controller or the potentiometer

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 07:30 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If terminal #2 had 13.9v when no wires were connected to #2 or #3, then #2 is the correct terminal for the Green wire.

The voltage on the Yellow wire should be close to 0v when the pedal is pressed just enough to close the main solenoid.

The voltage should then increase slowly as the pedal is pressed.

If the voltage at yellow wire is not close to 0v when the solenoid closes, it means the purple wire is not internally connected to the Vglide.

You should get approximately 0-5.5kΩ from pedal Up to pedal Down between the Yellow and Purple wires.

You should also get a constant resistance reading of about 5.5kΩ between the Green and Purple wires.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car